Is it safe to use hydrogen peroxide to remove algae in tank?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Shovad

Reaction score
I have a tank with guppies and danios and I have some issues with algae. Can hydrogen peroxide be used to remove the algae? I have 3% hydrogen peroxide- so how much ml per gallon of tank do I add ? I have no live plants- will addition of live plants reduce algae growth?

I would remove the worst affected plants and decor and dip them instead.

Plants like moss, hornwort, and moss balls won't take kindly to peroxide either though

what kind of algae is it? Depending what kind of algae you have determines what sort of treatment you need.

Hydrogen peroxide is safe for use for getting rid of the algae in your fish tank. It not only fights algal bloom efficiently but also adds more oxygen to the water, clear residual external infection, or fungi. It is often used by breeders to protect their fish fry or spawns from catching parasitic or fungal infections much more efficiently than methylene blue.

I used hydrogen peroxide to clear off the algae in my 40-gallon fish tank. Also, if you want to be more precise, using a milliliter calibrated syringe helps a lot (syringe without any needles). It is safe to use 2ml to 3ml of hydrogen peroxide for every, one gallon of water for fish tanks exclusive to fish only.

A word of caution is that if you have snail or shrimp in the tank, hydrogen peroxide can cause harm to them. Use the springe to pour the peroxide on algae heavy spots before rinsing off.

H2O3 is an oxidizer. It reacts rapidly to anything it comes in contact with. That being said....

I gargle the stuff for a.sore throat. I grow plants with it. It makes an ok.disinfectant.

The bubbles you see when you apply it to a wound are just it reacting to some.protiens in your wound. It's more of a.washer than a sterilizer. Due to its volatile nature, it "burns off" pretty fast.

Safe to use in a.fish tank for algae? Hmmmm.....

I would say that there are species of critters you could add to the system perhaps that would do that for you, with no harm to worry about. I have had people ask me many times how I keep the algae out of my tanks when I never do anything to clean it out. They ask because they all always say they try to remove it via chemicals and wind up killing the tank.off. I tell them to add an algae eater to the system, and the problem works itself out.

I have used it to treat black beard algae on some anubias and it works. I removed the plants and used a spray bottle to spray the hydrogen peroxide.

Attachments

• GEDC1521.JPG
    GEDC1521.JPG
    280.3 KB · Views: 58
i remember reading somewhere that the third oxygen molecule just breaks down and its really no harm. i do not recall the source.
A lot of people like to use a tiny plastic syringe and spot treat with it. make sure to turn off the filters and then do a water change afterwards.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back