Is it safe and acceptable to use hydrogen peroxide on BGA?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Meanwhile, back at the Cyano colony:

Luis: Scrub us? He's going to scrub us?

Alistair: Good luck to him. Hannah, head east and lie low. Armando and Joseph, under the rocks and circle back.

Vladimir: He's left the food. We'll show him.

Antonia: These humans. They are soooo inconvenient to have around.

I come to this thread late and have not read every post. You CAN use hydrogen peroxide (H202) on decor that you can remove from the tank. I have put H202 in a spray bottle, liberally sprayed the decor, let sit for a few minutes, then rinse with tap water and put back in the tank. I DO NOT recommend adding H202 directly to tank water. :)

I have found if there is a recurring cyano spot on gravel there's usually a dead body under there somewhere..... just my experience.

I took the rocks out of the mix and scrubbed them all off very well.
Now they are soaking in a very strong vinegar/water mix to be sure...
Next is another scrub and another soak but just in plain water on that one

I decided to soak every rock in an under 1:20 bleach and water solution. Then tomorrow or the day after I will empty and rinse and then soak it in water with a triple dose if dechlorinator.
I removed most of the algae but there is still some there

I REALLY would love to kill all the bga but not kill my fish... Cause me being an aquarist I love my fish and I prefer them alive... (Unless I want some seafood like salmon or something but thats beside the point). So would using a SMALL and SPECIFIC amount of hydrogen peroxide be safe to use in an aquarium against BGA?
Hey mate! I had a hugeeee BGA problem in one of my tanks and I was fearful of killing my fish. Instead, I just took all the plants and decor out of the tank, and soaked them in hot water with a couple table spoons of peroxide. This seemed to help a lot.

However, it came back, due to the extremely low nitrite levels, so I'd recommend getting to the root of the problem.

Hey mate! I had a hugeeee BGA problem in one of my tanks and I was fearful of killing my fish. Instead, I just took all the plants and decor out of the tank, and soaked them in hot water with a couple table spoons of peroxide. This seemed to help a lot.

However, it came back, due to the extremely low nitrite levels, so I'd recommend getting to the root of the problem.
Thanks! I have 10ppm nitrate coming out of the tap I know that low phosphates can also cause it or too many nutrients. I should test my phosphate levels but I don't have that kit and I'm upgrading my tank soon. This tank I plan to plant with lots of fast growers! So hopefully this helps lol

Thanks! I have 10ppm nitrate coming out of the tap I know that low phosphates can also cause it or too many nutrients. I should test my phosphate levels but I don't have that kit and I'm upgrading my tank soon. This tank I plan to plant with lots of fast growers! So hopefully this helps lol

Low phosphate will not cause cyanobacteria. Neither will low nitrates. At the same time, high nitrate will not (on its own) cause cyanobacteria, though it may be a sign of excess organics/nutrients which do cause cyanobacteria, and it does impact fish regardless. Cyanobacteria is caused by nutrients in the presence of light. Phosphate is obviously one nutrient, so high phosphate may cause cyanobacteria; and it certainly can contribute to problem algae.

Low phosphate will not cause cyanobacteria. Neither will low nitrates. At the same time, high nitrate will not (on its own) cause cyanobacteria, though it may be a sign of excess organics/nutrients which do cause cyanobacteria, and it does impact fish regardless. Cyanobacteria is caused by nutrients in the presence of light. Phosphate is obviously one nutrient, so high phosphate may cause cyanobacteria; and it certainly can contribute to problem algae.
I'm starting to think I don't have cyanobacteria though... I think it's a ton of green spot algae.

I did not have much luck with bleach removing BGA. Even with soaking - I tried vinegar, it didn't work real well either. Peroxide worked best for me.

I did not have much luck with bleach removing BGA. Even with soaking - I tried vinegar, it didn't work real well either. Peroxide worked best for me.
Well I did all 3 😂. I am good at committing, so I'm committing genocide 😈🤣

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back