Is Heater Fully Submersible?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

mnewsholme

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hi All

Just getting setup. Have a fluval M series heater. Is this fully submersible or does dial need to be above water level?. Instructions show a diagram with it fully under water but doesn't explicitly say in words so thought I'd better check first.

Matt

The Fluval M It's completely submersible
smile.png
 The little wave symbol line indicates the maximum distance "out" of the water the heater can be, my instruction sheet shows it underwater horizontal and diagonally, making note that it shouldn't make contact with the gravel or sand.  

further reference  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPLxmlwbteE

This is why we have this question...there is conflicting data out there.

Looks like it depends on where it was purchased.

From the Manual, "For CSA/North America version: Water must not rise above the MAX WATER LINE indicated." and "CAUTION - Water level should not rise above the maximum water line or below the minimum indicated on the glass heater tube." (http://usa.hagen.com/File/71b9e982-97b5-4c8e-a8a1-078c739f1f14)

As OP is UK based as am I will assume they have UK spec heater , couldn't get scanner working so took pic of front page for you of "the Fluval "M" series premium submersible aquarium heater" 
smile.png

001_zpsaa185e24.jpg

Yup, that's consistent with the info I posted.

My guess is it's just a safety issue forced by the government and it's actually the same heater.

That's why I'm unsure. Diagram on pack shows dial underwater like kirkyarcher posted and there is only a minimum water level marking on the heater itself. Instructions don't say anything other than to not let level fall below minimum marking. Think I'll email Hagen and see if I can get a definitive answer, don't wont to take chances with electricity and water. Thanks for replies anyway

Matt

Sounds like you are good to submerge as it's the UK model and has no MAX water line.

The info I posted about it being country specific is from their web site. You can follow the link.

I'm UK based, I had the exact same 100w heater for my tank when I bought it.

Had it fully immersed in water for 2 months before bought a more powerful heater. 

Did not have any issues with it at all.

Believe the water line diagram on the heater itself is to show the lowest level of water to reach heater when installed vertically otherwise exposing the heating element and glass under that line would crack when switched on out of the water when doing water changes for example.

Can understand the confusion though, instructions could be a little clearer and more informative.

Just got following reply back from fluval which seems definitive answer. Just got to get a Latching RCD to plug it into now.

'Dear Matthew

Thank you for contacting us.

The M series heater is fully submersible. Everything can go under the water, including the power cable. The instructions are a little confusing and I can only apologise, sorry.

Best Regards, Kath Hirst Customer Service Advisor Rolf C. Hagen (UK) Ltd. California Drive Whitwood Industrial Estate Castleford, West Yorkshire WF10 5QH http://www.hagen.com'

That confirms everything.
I do like to have a conclusive answer from companies like these.

Good going and good on you for contacting Hagen about that query and sharing the response.

thanks.gif

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back