Is global warming human created?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

jaylach

Supporting Member
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
Short answer is no it is not as geological studies have shown that it is a natural cycle of the planet Earth and has happened several times in the past. We may be accelerating the process but are not the cause. If we were to be the cause I would ask why the planet Mars is also experiencing global warming? Personally I think the actual cause is cycles within our sun.

Funny thing about the geological studies on global warming is that they tend to precede ice ages. To understand this one must understand the dynamics... When this planets goes through global warming the ice caps melt. Most people think this just affects coastal water levels a bit but the actual dynamics are MUCH more dynamic. When ice caps melt it reduces the salinity of the northern and southern ocean areas. The first affect that would be seen from this is the affect on marine critters... think of having a salt aquarium where you kept taking away from the salt level.

OK, so this can affect critters but how can it lead to an ice age? There are very deep slow moving north and south moving currents in our oceans./ The lessening of salinity affects these deep currents which, in turn, affects shallower warming coastal currents. Once these warming currents are disrupted the land is affected. Take away the warming currents off shore from the U.S. states of Washington and Oregon and they become frigid deserts. The affect is even stronger in the arctic waters of northern Canada causing the formation of glaciers.

This is not all likely to happen in our lifetimes although you may see indications. Did spring seem to come a bit lat this year in your area? It did in Wyoming. Such is just one indication of what is ahead.

Mars us completely different planet with other greenhouse gasses and is a different distance from the sun. Therefore it would heat quicker. If humans and their inventions were never here we may have an ice age and heating periods, you are correct but we do cause things with global warming. We keep filling the planet with bad gasses that trap heat and we damaged the ozone layer

Humans have no impact on how the planet or its atmosphere behaves.

As for timeshifting seasons, that has more to do with the number of times that the planet has been knocked off its axis by significant events from volcanic and tectonic eruptions and movements than it does anything humans have done.

I strongly believe that humans are exceptionally arrogant if they assume that they can or do make one iota of difference with how the planet and its atmosphere exists, moves and changes.

With 5 previous ice ages and 5 previous mass extinctions recorded before human life existed and a sixth mass extinction overdue, we humans are nothing more than tenants on the planet that are by no means capable of saving the planet, its atmosphere or ourselves from the planet's own cyclic lifespan.

I saw a show on PBS recently that talked about lush jungles at the poles once upon a time and forests and grasslands where now there is the Sahara Desert so it appears that the earth has always been in a state of change. Whatever the reason or cause there's nothing we can do about it but I do know one thing for a fact and that is my little corner of the world is experiencing river and creek flooding that has never happened on the scale that it is now. Watch the news and see what's going on around Yellowstone National Park.

I saw a show on PBS recently that talked about lush jungles at the poles once upon a time and forests and grasslands where now there is the Sahara Desert so it appears that the earth has always been in a state of change. Whatever the reason or cause there's nothing we can do about it but I do know one thing for a fact and that is my little corner of the world is experiencing river and creek flooding that has never happened on the scale that it is now. Watch the news and see what's going on around Yellowstone National Park.
Yellowstone is sat on the planets biggest and most powerful super volcano. The constant monitoring has been indicating an increase of sub surface movement and pressure for the last 5 years. It is overdue a big eruption....they happen around 250 year or so intervals and its very overdue.

Should Yellowstone erupt in any way close to Mount St Helens did in 1980, the entire region of Yellowstone and a significant area beyond will be obliterated.

It is monitored 24/7 and has been for decades. It suffers earthquake swarming as noted below...some within the last few weeks

@wasmewasntit I have a different idea about that. Yellowstone is a caldera , a big hollow spot. I think it is more likely to cave in than blow up and become a great big lake. Anyway, whatever happens , I hope it's not in my lifetime because I only live 100 miles away as the crow flies. Wouldn't matter anyway. I'd be dead before I knew anything happened.

If Yellowstone blows it will take out a good portion of the Western US and part of the Midwest. After that, we will wish that we had done more to increase 'Global Warming' since the particulates will cause an extended period of cooling, crop loss, and mass death for most of the species of this planet.

@wasmewasntit I have a different idea about that. Yellowstone is a caldera , a big hollow spot. I think it is more likely to cave in than blow up and become a great big lake. Anyway, whatever happens , I hope it's not in my lifetime because I only live 100 miles away as the crow flies. Wouldn't matter anyway. I'd be dead before I knew anything happened.
I don't think people actually realise just how dangerous Yellowstone is or what it is capable of doing in the event that an eruption happens

Having watched live footage of Mount St Helens at the time that she blew, the eruption was outward from the top and sides of the volcano. Yellowstone will be upwards and with considerably more force.

In all honesty when Yellowstone does go bang, the remains will be close to identical to that of the Santorini caldera in Greece....and that last erupted in 1950, so not that long ago comparatively

I think that sometimes we humans feel that we are invincible and that nothing can possibly wipe us out, when infact we are far more fragile than we assume we are.

Mars us completely different planet with other greenhouse gasses and is a different distance from the sun. Therefore it would heat quicker. If humans and their inventions were never here we may have an ice age and heating periods, you are correct but we do cause things with global warming. We keep filling the planet with bad gasses that trap heat and we damaged the ozone layer
Mars being further from the should and does show slower warming then the Earth but that MAY not be true due to Mars having very little protective atmosphere.

We DO NOT cause global warming although we have accelerated the process. Talk about particulates... When Mt ST Hellen blew it put out more particulates in the atmosphere in one day than humans have since the start of the industrial age.

I don't think people actually realise just how dangerous Yellowstone is or what it is capable of doing in the event that an eruption happens

Having watched live footage of Mount St Helens at the time that she blew, the eruption was outward from the top and sides of the volcano. Yellowstone will be upwards and with considerably more force.

In all honesty when Yellowstone does go bang, the remains will be close to identical to that of the Santorini caldera in Greece....and that last erupted in 1950, so not that long ago comparatively

I think that sometimes we humans feel that we are invincible and that nothing can possibly wipe us out, when infact we are far more fragile than we assume we are.
When I was in Santorini, our tour guide mentioned that people traded property for limited passage off the island during one of the periods of increasing volcanic threat. They chose poorly, at least for now.

Mars being further from the should and does show slower warming then the Earth but that MAY not be true due to Mars having very little protective atmosphere.

We DO NOT cause global warming although we have accelerated the process. Talk about particulates... When Mt ST Hellen blew it put out more particulates in the atmosphere in one day than humans have since the start of the industrial age.
Eyjafjallajökull in 2010 did even more damage atmospherically than St Helens in 1980, it also knocked the planet even further off its axis than St Helens

It was not just the international transport disruption that reached, quite literally, new heights with Eyjafjallajökull...the entire planetary position and atmosphere changed irreversibly too

Eyjafjallajökull in 2010 did even more damage atmospherically than St Helens in 1980, it also knocked the planet even further off its axis than St Helens

It was not just the international transport disruption that reached, quite literally, new heights with Eyjafjallajökull...the entire planetary position and atmosphere changed irreversibly too
Do you have a pointer to the data? These are huge eruptions, magnitudes larger than the largest nuclear weapon, but the mass and inertia of the earth is likely magnitudes greater than the eruptions. I don't doubt that we can measure the effect, I'm just curious as to how large the effect (axis/position) is.

When I was in Santorini, our tour guide mentioned that people traded property for limited passage off the island during one of the periods of increasing volcanic threat. They chose poorly, at least for now.
Santorini is a living example of what is still to come should any of the larger volcanoes go bang in a big way

Another caldera like Yellowstone that is also increasing its activity and under surface pressure is that of the 24 craters that make up the caldera of Campi Flegei. The city of Naples, Italy has gradually been built over the entire caldera which is very much alive and kicking under foot. Should that blow, the damage and loss of life will make the Versuvius eruption and distruction of Pompeii look like a drop in the ocean.

And not forgetting that Versuvius is active along with Stromboli, Etna and Gran Cratere della Fossa all of which are within miles of each other in Italy

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back