Is Co2 Safe With Shrimp

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

shelaghfishface

the one and only
Reaction score
also i think i need a heater in the tank, havent had one so far but 2 amanos have died :( what temp should i set it at?
the co2 is a nutrafin kit with diy mix ( 1 unit on this tank and its 87`ish litres ) cherries, tigers and amanos

have also setup co2 on my 200l ,is 1 unit enough on that? ( 30watts of light)

the lighting on ( the 87 litre tank) it is 15 watts ( from memory)

TIA

shelagh xxx

and just realised ive posted in disscussion, sorry, mods feel free to shift me :D

I think you need alot more light , if its not goldfish it needs a heater.

A plant list would help with the light issues, you might need up to 2wpg( watts per gallon) to really let the plants and fish grow, the wattage also needs atleast a 6500K temp rating on each bulb.

I have DIY CO2 on mine, its a 2L bottle, some air line, a medicine syringe?(oral not hypodermic) a brass check valve and a diffuser I think its enough, Ive not lost any fish and plants have alot of new growth especially the root systems.

Im not sure the conversion but I think you have the US gallon of atleast 65 possibly a 75 gallon tank, so yes you need ALOT more light, and is it in direct sunlight as well?

http://i41.tinypic.com/v64x0j.jpg

sorry for the size, forgot to resize will edit when new pic is ready

My CO2 is that mt dew bottle you see in the bottom left corner. I use the floor lamp as a 27w kicker light for now until I can get a CFL strip for the top. I have 1 48: at 40w and one at 27w so I think I am right at my lighting needs for now. but you need atleast 1wpg for low light low tech plants.

Hey Shelagh, to my knowledge from scouting around the planted section when I had plants! co2 is fine with shrimp. As for temp, my shrimp/ADF tank is set at 24c :good:

CO2 is fine with shrimp. I run CO2 on two tanks and both have lots of cherry shrimp. Though if you overdose co2 the shrimp are the first things to go. I did just that once the fish were just gasping, but the shrimp got completely wiped out. If you ever see them behaving oddly something is usually wrong.

how safe are shrimp with say cories and kuhlis and angels and a betta? possibly gups and platies too? they all eat shrimp something or other and love brine shrimp and stuff along those lines?

I am stuck between shrimps and trumpet snails.

Dont mean to hijack just kinda the same subject as threadauthor was on and didnt want to make a whole new thread for little to no replies.

cheers all
the bubbles are rolling at about 1 per second..... overdose? that was a teaspoon of yeast

why do you think i would need a lot more light? just asking as im interested to know :) and what size tube ( W) would u recommend

heater gone in now, thanks for the advice :) ( wasnt sure as they were in a tank that was on the breakfast bar above a radiator then i put the new tank next to another radiator, but as its in the halway maybe the fluctuations ( heating on in the night only) have upset them

Assuming 15W is a typo you will really struggle with DIY on a 200 litre tank. I tried and was convinced I could do it on my 180 litre and thought it was working well until BBA hit and this is one of the worse alga to get rid of! Wrecked my Java moss that took ages to cling to the 3d background..
I think you will need 3 bottles one changed every 4 or so days to keep things ticking over then you need adequate diffusion it is a pain in the :oh:

I initially wanted to go down the DIY route for CO2 - buta fter running it for several weeks It just became such a pain in the proverbial that I kinda gave up with it.

For christmas my Boyfriend got me a regulator so I could go down the compressed gas route. The regulator was one of these

http://www.aquaessentials.co.uk/index.php?...products_id=656

Hydor Green NRG thingies with diffuser.

It was a big initial expence but then all we needed was a gas cylinder (£9 from DIY store - CO2 welding gas!) and as the kit came with all the valve adaptors we could possibly need all has gone well since. The gas is still going strong after 6 months and the pressure hasnt dropped yet so will be going for many more months.

If you did get a regulator etc set up then there is no reason why you couldnt stick a diverter one of the low pressure lines and have a single regulator feeding 2 tanks or more.

Shelagh is talking about her 30L tank I think Keenonfish.

Whitedevil, shrimp would be ok with the corys and platies and betta but the angels will munch on them.

Figured they would since they get up right behind the gups and eat the fry before it can reach the surface.

Lighting is usually 1wpg minimum, so take your tank size in US gallons and multiply by 1.5 or 2 to get the total wattage you need.

the tank in the sig looks alot bigger then 8 gallons is why I ask.

if its an 8gallon tank you might have too much light now.

I didnt know they made 8 gallon tanks, thats tiny.

Assuming 15W is a typo you will really struggle with DIY on a 200 litre tank. I tried and was convinced I could do it on my 180 litre and thought it was working well until BBA hit and this is one of the worse alga to get rid of! Wrecked my Java moss that took ages to cling to the 3d background..
I think you will need 3 bottles one changed every 4 or so days to keep things ticking over then you need adequate diffusion it is a pain in the :oh:

oohhhh i see :lol: thats me not saying things in the right order.. the 15w is on the 87 litre tank

i edited it to make sense to even me :lol:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back