Iodide

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

adeyc

Fish Herder
Reaction score
This is some blurb I found for an Iodide test kit
Iodide is necessary for the growth and reproduction of fish and some plants also thrive when iodide is present in the water.
What I want to know is exactly how much iodide plants and fish need as this makes it seem you need a lot. I'm still having probs keeping plants alive.(Fish are no problem) I've never had a green thumb so plants just don't like me. The CO2 helps but the plants eventualy give up and die. This only happens in a couple of tanks and the water param's are more or less the same throughout.

Iodide is on the bottom of a LONG list of things that are beneficial to plants. They key word here being beneficial. Without getting too technical, the most important thing your plants need are light, air (O2 and CO2) and a healthy substrate. Ive only gotten into live plants in the past 10 years, and have been messing around with many settings, but always see that if those three are ok, then my plants will live, and live well.

If your plants are getting brown before dying, that seems to be a lack of iron and/or nitrite/nitrate.

Let me know, perhaps you know more about the deficiencies than I do. Also, what plants do you have?

Xcrown

Plants. I've about 4 java ferns and 6 swords left in the tanks in question re stocking on Friday with whatever the lfs has. Some of them just disintegrate most just die and wither away.
I know a bit about water chem and the properies of it. but I'm getting into the proper hydrology thing just now. The blurb confused me a bit by the wording it made it seem that iodide was like one of the top 3 you mentioned. To me iron ,iodide.etc should be present in a healthy substrate. so why don't they have test kits for the rest of the nutrients?

That definetly sounds like an iron deficiency. Be very careful when adding CO2 becuase if you dont have enough other nutrients, the plant will just grow too fast, and die off.

Iodide is not important, and the plants only use it in VERY small ammounts. Iron, phostphates, nitrates, nitrites, are the most important elements. Other elements are useful.

Ever tried using a PMDD?

Xcrown

PMDD????? My brain's not working just now

PMDD (poor mans dosing drops) is a home made aquarium fertlizer. ITs good stuff, and cheap, and for the most part works well.

Heres the run down

mix with water to make a 1/2 liter solution,
1 tablespoon chelated trace mix
1 tablespoon MgSO4+7H2O
2 tablespoons K2SO4
1 tablespoon KNO3 (varies, depends on your nitrate)

Xcrown

Thanz Again. I'm wearing the labcoat and have powered up the lab, just got to find where I put that d##n bunsen burner and get some pens for my pocket :laugh:

HAha....heres what those things are....in common english....

Sources for a chelated trace mix
Plantex's "CSM"
1-905-793-7000
314 Orenda Ave, Brampton, Ontario
L6T1G1 Canada
[Thanks to Kevin Conlin]
$30 US for 5Lbs
For a breakdown, see How to Roll Your Own with Plantex below
Miller Chemical & Fertilizer's "Microplex"
Hanover, PA
Distributor: NitroPhos 1-713-530-5558
[Thanks to Doug Skokna]
I've never tried Microplex, but it has;

Mg-5.4% Bo-0.5% Co-0.05%
Cu-1.5% Fe-4.0% Mn-4.0%
Mb-0.1% Zn-1.5%

(Quote from a site)

Some hydroponics and local garden shops carry trace mixes. But, check their ingredients list to make sure they do not have N, P or K (i.e. just trace mix, not something like Miracle Grow), they're chelated, and that their trace percents are similar to CSM.

Sources for MgSO4 (Magnesium Sulphate) and H3BO3 (Boric Acid)
MgSO4 is available from drug stores as Epsom Salts. $2 buys plenty. Note it's hydrated (the form PMDD calls for) so it's labeled MgSO4 + 7H2O. [Thanks to Karen Randall]
H3BO3 is Boric Acid, a Boron source used to supplement CSM (skip if your trace mix has boron). Also available from drug stores, a couple buck buys around 250mG, a lot. [Thanks to Paul Sears]
Sources for KNO3 (Potassium Nitrate) and K2SO4 (Potassium Sulphate)
ECO Enterprises 1-800-426-6937
1240 NE 175th Street, Seattle WA 98155
KNO3 $5.98/ 1 lbs, 12.45/ 5 lbs Agro grade
K2SO4 $5.98/ 1 lbs, 7.45/ 5 lb Agro grade
chelated trace mix $9.95/16 oz.
shipping across the US is $9. [Thanks to Doug Skokna and Noel Llopis]
PCI Scientific Supply 1-800-432-4136
KNO3 $16.75/500mG Lab grade
K2SO4 $15.50/500mG Lab grade
[Thanks to Tom Polk]
Local Hydroponics and Garden Supply shops.
Note: Greenlight's "Stump Away" is just KNO3.

Hope that helps
Xcrown

G.L. Hasty? No My brain just locked up for a moment. I've so much chemicals going round in my brain ;) (Chemical equations) trying to fight with physics equations, that now and again things stop working. It's hard being a scientific genius. :p
The mix is ready and added to the tank. Just got to see what happens. Oh yeah and having a Chem teacher in the famly means free chem's. just don't let the school find out.

mmmmm.....free chems....

oh wait....ummm...

wrong chems....

xcrown

Chemistry is important, no doubt here 8) , but don't forget LIGHT! Without proper light there is no proper photosynthesis.
It's very important to get the right spectrum bulbs with watts enough for your tank. Changing bulbs every 5-6 months is also a good idea as bulbs tend to "age" and eventually alter the spectrum and power. Another thing to pay attention to is compatibility of plants. It may sound silly, but it's true that some plants will dominate in the tank consuming more CO2 leaving the other plants without 'food'   :) so be selective!!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back