Introducing young angelfish to tank with adult angelfish?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

nantics

Reaction score
I currently have a 180 gallon planted tank and a 20 gallon. I stocked the 180 with guppies, corys, apistos, and 4 adult angelfish. The angelfish ended up being 2 males and 2 females, making 2 pairs. Long story short I let one of the pairs breed, raised the fry and have been steadily selling them. The largest of the offspring are now a bit larger than half dollar size. I've been thinking of introducing the 10 largest ones into the large tank where the adults are. Will they be killed? Should I wait until the they get bigger? How much bigger?

That's a big tank. I would say you could introduce them as long as it is well planted and aquascaped to give them protection from the adults

Be careful with the bigger angels though. Sometimes if a young angel strays into a breeding pair of angels' territories, it will be aggressively attacked or in some cases killed. So just be careful with the ones you are putting in. Also can we see some pictures of the babies? I'm interested to see what patterns the young have picked up from their parents.

I find for largish cichlids angels are more bark than bite and don’t move across the tank very fast at all I think you would have success in introducing them

Be careful with the bigger angels though. Sometimes if a young angel strays into a breeding pair of angels' territories, it will be aggressively attacked or in some cases killed. So just be careful with the ones you are putting in. Also can we see some pictures of the babies? I'm interested to see what patterns the young have picked up from their parents.
They're mostly the standard silver veil tail morphs, but one ended up being pure black. It's probably the main reason I wanted to keep a few of my juvie angels

IMG_20210106_180443281.jpg
IMG_20210107_080031743.jpg

Yeah I'm never going to be able to get these guys in focus. The first picture is of the 180 gallon, the second is an attempt of taking a picture of the juvenile angels

View attachment 126143View attachment 126144
Yeah I'm never going to be able to get these guys in focus. The first picture is of the 180 gallon, the second is an attempt of taking a picture of the juvenile angels
The first picture with the 180 looks amazing!! Super cool

In the second picture it looks like they look like peruvian altums and there's one or two look like koi too me. Epic.

Most reactions

Back