Interesting Rummynose Behavior. Spawning?

NeonBlueLeon

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hello folks,

Today, I had the great fortune of being up and awake at 5:00 AM.  At that time, my tank's lights are not on, but there's enough ambient light in the tank for a kind of "low light" setting.

I had been noticing my rummynoses were very active before the lights came on lately, but I thought nothing of it.  This morning, I watched them closely and noticed they were actually doing something (besides mindlessly swimming around).

Some of the presumed males (thinner, leaner), usually one or two, were swimming right up against the presumed females (bigger, fuller).  They did this for a few seconds, then broke off.  But they would soon resume their "courtship."

I think this may be spawning behavior because I've been doing 10% water changes every other day for about a month now.  I have heard that frequent water changes (or just pristine water) could induce spawning in rummynoses.  However, I've also heard that my water conditions, specifically my pH, is rather high for their spawning conditions.  My pH is 7.6.

Does anyone have experience with rummynose tetra breeding/spawning?  Is this spawning behavior?

Most reactions

Back