Injured Cardinal Tetra

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

ξηράikhthū́s

Reaction score
Hi,

I am A brand new to the hobby and have a number of small tanks. In one of the tanks, ( Fluval Spec 5 gal) i have a koi betta and a mix of 5 ricefish and 4 cardinal tetra.

I just noticed that one of the tetras are injured, the end half of its body looks like it got skinned and its tail is practically gone. I'm guessing this was either the betta attacked it or it got stuck into the grills of the intake filter of the tank. It cannot swim normally and practicallly floats vertically in the tank. Is there anyway for it to make a full recovery? I've placed it in a bowl with some tetra flakes/granules to see if it would eat. I think it nibbles on tiny bits but stays still for the most part. Any nano fish tank keepers out here to provide any advice?

Attachments

• 20220829_205829.jpg
    20220829_205829.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 19
It has been in the wars. Firstly, there seems to be a lot of food in that bowl. I would clean it out. This little guy will do better in the main tank rather than a bowl. In saying that, I think you have too many fish in your five gallon. A larger tank will help the situation in the long term.

It has been in the wars. Firstly, there seems to be a lot of food in that bowl. I would clean it out. This little guy will do better in the main tank rather than a bowl. In saying that, I think you have too many fish in your five gallon. A larger tank will help the situation in the long term.
Thanks, There is lots of food because I was trying to make sure he could get food in all the spots he would float around in. I put him back in the tank and hopefully he makes it through the night.

I forgot to mention that the tetras and nanos are mixed in there temporarily as my 15 gal betta planted tank had a defective canister of c02 unload itself overnight so I'm waiting a couple of days for it to clear up.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back