Info Wanted On A Couple Of Fish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I do love tetras and because theirs so many types, i dont know what to choose or what i prefer but will get searching google for some. Never heard of Rasbora, but another thing ill look into. Someone told me last week that plecs will only grow to acomidate the tank,but was going to look into getting a smaller type. And i only planned on keeping the one male betta in the tank

I do love tetras and because theirs so many types, i dont know what to choose or what i prefer but will get searching google for some. Never heard of Rasbora, but another thing ill look into. Someone told me last week that plecs will only grow to acomidate the tank,but was going to look into getting a smaller type. And i only planned on keeping the one male betta in the tank

Completely disregard to the pleco info you have been given, it's a misconception and ultimately ends up with the fish having serious health issues if they arnt accommodated correctly.... finding a smaller variety you like is a much better option, there are literally hundreds to chose from.

A betta isn't suitable for a community based setup, they just require tank conditions which you will find hard to meet with a variety of fish... they can be very temperamental and possibly cause you more hassle than you would probably want.

I know it's seems like we are kiboshing all your suggestions but it really is to help you make the right decision and to avoid any potential future problems... learning by other peoples mistakes ensures you never have to deal with them yourself
wink.png

Hi all, im still full to the brim with questions before i add fish to my tank so ill apologise now if im getting on peoples nerves lol! I got my water tested today and everything is perfect, so the next step im assuming would be adding fish! Wich were planning to do this weekend. But theres a few of them im hoping someone can give me some info on, iv searched the internet but id like some first hand advice about the breeds etc.

First of all DISCUS! Im not sure if i should wait before getting one, but my parnter, also new to fish keeping has asked if i could get him one for christmas, hes fallin inlove with them!

See through cat fish? Im not sure of their proper name, but i find them beautiful, all you can see is their long skeletons swimming around.

Kissing gourmi, i love these as a friend has them, but i havent taken note of what their living with.

Theres only three for now, but id like to know what their like, what they like and what theyll live with, and could they live together? I have a 4foot tank with over 120 litres, live plants and bogwood. Thanks in advance!

since this is your first fish, axe yourself a question: how much money do I want to waste on this fish I am aboot to kill?

let the answer to that question be your guide whilst purchasing this fish..

cheers
santa.gif

Hi all, im still full to the brim with questions before i add fish to my tank so ill apologise now if im getting on peoples nerves lol! I got my water tested today and everything is perfect, so the next step im assuming would be adding fish! Wich were planning to do this weekend. But theres a few of them im hoping someone can give me some info on, iv searched the internet but id like some first hand advice about the breeds etc.

First of all DISCUS! Im not sure if i should wait before getting one, but my parnter, also new to fish keeping has asked if i could get him one for christmas, hes fallin inlove with them!

See through cat fish? Im not sure of their proper name, but i find them beautiful, all you can see is their long skeletons swimming around.

Kissing gourmi, i love these as a friend has them, but i havent taken note of what their living with.

Theres only three for now, but id like to know what their like, what they like and what theyll live with, and could they live together? I have a 4foot tank with over 120 litres, live plants and bogwood. Thanks in advance!

since this is your first fish, axe yourself a question: how much money do I want to waste on this fish I am aboot to kill?

let the answer to that question be your guide whilst purchasing this fish..

cheers
santa.gif

I honestly don't think that is the best guide to personally go by lol.... with good guidance and research there shouldn't be a risk of killing any fish... preparation and willing to learn should steer you through with very little if any problems at all.

Completely disregard to the pleco info you have been given, it's a misconception and ultimately ends up with the fish having serious health issues if they arnt accommodated correctly.... finding a smaller variety you like is a much better option, there are literally hundreds to chose from.

A betta isn't suitable for a community based setup, they just require tank conditions which you will find hard to meet with a variety of fish... they can be very temperamental and possibly cause you more hassle than you would probably want.

I know it's seems like we are kiboshing all your suggestions but it really is to help you make the right decision and to avoid any potential future problems... learning by other peoples mistakes ensures you never have to deal with them yourself
wink.png

I honestly appreciate everyones time that they are putting into telling me about the fish i like and the set up, and im thankful that some ones come along and told me where im going wrong and what to avoid, most pet stores and garden centres have told me different but we all know why that is and with the right advice i can avoid killing my fish etc.

Iv been researching a few fish whenever i can grab myself an hour or so, and im finding this forum quite handy as most of you tell me exactly how to go about things and give me honest advice, so thanks again!

So have you decided on some more appropriate fish? I am planning on setting up a new 125l tank within the next couple of months, its going to have a shoal of corys, a shoal of cardinal teras and a breeding pair of german blue rams and a few cherry shrimp. It is definitely better to go with a few larger shoals of a few species than a load of different species but only a few of each. You will fnid the behavior of fish is much more natural when they are in the appropriate shoal size.

I honestly appreciate everyones time that they are putting into telling me about the fish i like and the set up, and im thankful that some ones come along and told me where im going wrong and what to avoid, most pet stores and garden centres have told me different but we all know why that is and with the right advice i can avoid killing my fish etc.

Iv been researching a few fish whenever i can grab myself an hour or so, and im finding this forum quite handy as most of you tell me exactly how to go about things and give me honest advice, so thanks again!

Most are always happy to help on here, me included :).

It's actually nice to see somebody researching and asking questions tbh... and ultimately taking the advice... nothing worse than giving advice for it to be ignored and then you have a thread in the emergency section a couple weeks later because there having problems
rolleyes.gif

Whats the point in seeking advice if your going to ignore it? that must be pretty annoying spending time helping someone for them to not even acknowledge the advice given.

And Sebn, not yet, just got on the labtop now little oens asleep so im going to look into some fish now! I thought rams where cichlids and couldnt live within a comunnity tank.... I will now most certainly do abit of research into them now youv said that!

Whats the point in seeking advice if your going to ignore it? that must be pretty annoying spending time helping someone for them to not even acknowledge the advice given.

And Sebn, not yet, just got on the labtop now little oens asleep so im going to look into some fish now! I thought rams where cichlids and couldnt live within a comunnity tank.... I will now most certainly do abit of research into them now youv said that!

It can be very frustration, it makes it all the worse... when it's them purposely asking for advice and then ignoring it, makes you wonder why the questions were asked in the first place lol... but hey ho.

As to the rams, yes they are actually good community fish, they are cichlids but quite a passive one.... they can become aggressive if breeding but it's more alot of chasing fish away from eggs or fry than out and out aggression.

Just be aware though, GBR's like mentioned require a much higher temp and are more sensitive to water params than there equally as nice cousin, Bolivian rams..... both are very nice fish indeed though :)

tiger barbs zebra danioes and a red tail black shark could work i think

This simply isn't true. All you need for a happy betta are:

1) Areas of low flow in the tank. Your entire tank does NOT have to be low flow to accommodate a betta. I'm keeping a betta in a 180 US gallon planted tank with tetras, rasboras, and corys and he's quite happy in there. This is a sump system with appreciable return flow. All I've had to do is redirect the return flow so he's got areas of respite. Current is not a no-go zone for bettas as long as they've somewhere to retreat to when they require rest. Some opportunities to fight current on their own terms will result in a HEALTHIER betta.

2) Correct temperature. Anywhere between 75 and 84 degrees F is sufficient to keep your betta happy.

3) The right tank-mates. You need fish which will not snatch food away from your betta or which will allow you to target feed your betta. You need fish which will not nip your betta's fins. You need fish which are fast enough to get away from your betta when he's in a mood; and you need a tank which is large enough for fish to have somewhere to retreat to.

All this nonsense about bettas requiring smaller tanks is quite false. Bettas are easier to mix with other fish in larger tanks, where there is more volume to diffuse temporary aggressive urges. I'd rather keep a betta in a 30+ US gallon community tank than a <20 US gallon community tank for that reason.

There are aspects to your reply i agree with but if i may.......

This simply isn't true. All you need for a happy betta are:

1) Areas of low flow in the tank. Your entire tank does NOT have to be low flow to accommodate a betta. I'm keeping a betta in a 180 US gallon planted tank with tetras, rasboras, and corys and he's quite happy in there. This is a sump system with appreciable return flow. All I've had to do is redirect the return flow so he's got areas of respite. Current is not a no-go zone for bettas as long as they've somewhere to retreat to when they require rest. Some opportunities to fight current on their own terms will result in a HEALTHIER betta.

If a fish needs to retreat to respite because a setup is not quite right, essentially isn't actually supplying the fish with the correct environment.... a fish should be happy in it's environment 100% of the time, wherever the fish maybe in the tank, having to retreat just means it's not.

2) Correct temperature. Anywhere between 75 and 84 degrees F is sufficient to keep your betta happy.

I partially agree with this, however.... the temp range is likely because in the wild, the conditions will vary from season to season.... yes the fish may be in a higher temperature environment at 'some' point 'but' this wouldn't be constant.... an average temperature would be of that in which in would be in for the longest duration which i would imagine be alot lower than the higher band you've mentioned.... so although yes it would probably be fine kept at the 80-82 mark at some point, long term can and probably would have detrimental effects to there health...maybe not short term but likely longterm.

3) The right tank-mates. You need fish which will not snatch food away from your betta or which will allow you to target feed your betta. You need fish which will not nip your betta's fins. You need fish which are fast enough to get away from your betta when he's in a mood; and you need a tank which is large enough for fish to have somewhere to retreat to.

Again i partially agree.... i never actually said it couldn't be with other fish, the comment you've highlighted states that it's not suitable for a community based setup.... ie... alot of long flowing finned fish, nippy barbs or some tetra's, shrimp, etc etc. Of course this fish can be kept with others but choosing wisely is the key.

All this nonsense about bettas requiring smaller tanks is quite false. Bettas are easier to mix with other fish in larger tanks, where there is more volume to diffuse temporary aggressive urges. I'd rather keep a betta in a 30+ US gallon community tank than a <20 US gallon community tank for that reason.

I do have to disgree for the most part here..... there were back in the day some very very experienced and knowlegable betta keepers that used to frequent this forum, many had varying opinions on bettas but the overall consensous was that bettas do better in a smaller envionment.

Ive seen this first hand myself on many occasions.... ive kept betta's in a semi community based setup (fish chosen wisely).... they have all be relitiviley happy yes.... however, once moved into a smaller based lower flowed tank, they showed there true potential...never hid, never seemed to suffer and certainly looked far more at home than they ever did in a larger tank with much more flow. There are plenty of reports that point towards there bettas seem to show much better characteristics when kept on there own, in a smaller tankwith low flow than they ever did in a community based larger one

Saying all this above, i agree that there is always an exception to rule, if there wasnt then life would be quite boring frankly... but i guarentee you, there will be much more of a higher percentage of failer rate by a system like yours than with a system from which ive mentioned.

So really even though your setup 'may' be working with your fish, the next 10 setups doing similar may actually be complete failiures.... we have to give info based on the percentages, 1 out of the possible next 10 that fail is not really the best way to say they will have no problems and all will be fine.

Most reactions

trending

Back