Inconsistent Ammonia Readings - Confused!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

firsttimefishboy

Reaction score
I thought I was getting close to my tank being cycled but the ammonia readings have changed a bit lately. For a week, the ammonia and nitrite were going to 0ppm after 24 hours from 4ppm. However in the last two days the ammonia has slowed. After 36 hours it was only down to 1ppm while the nitrite was 0. I added ammonia to make the readings 4ppm again but when i checked tonight (12 hrs) it was only down to 2ppm while the nitrite was down to 0.25ppm. I'm a bit confused as to what this means and I am hoping someone will enlighten me.

Hi whats your ph reading if its below 6.5 then your cycle may have crashed.
If so then do a water change to bring it back up. :good:
Lloyd

I thought I was getting close to my tank being cycled but the ammonia readings have changed a bit lately. For a week, the ammonia and nitrite were going to 0ppm after 24 hours from 4ppm. However in the last two days the ammonia has slowed. After 36 hours it was only down to 1ppm while the nitrite was 0. I added ammonia to make the readings 4ppm again but when i checked tonight (12 hrs) it was only down to 2ppm while the nitrite was down to 0.25ppm. I'm a bit confused as to what this means and I am hoping someone will enlighten me.
Is your pH holding up ok?
is tank temp set to 29c?
is your tank waters surface well aggitated to maintain a good oxygen supply?

Keith.

Yeah, just tested it an pH is between 6 and 6.4! Normally 7.4. So a water change is needed then? 50% ok? Just when I thought I'd be ok to watch the football :crazy:

Yeah, just tested it an pH is between 6 and 6.4! Normally 7.4. So a water change is needed then? 50% ok? Just when I thought I'd be ok to watch the football :crazy:
You could always raise your pH with the introduction of sodium bicarbonate(baking soda).

Keith.

As long as it doesn't do any harm I'm all for that. I'll tell the wife to turn the channel back over to the football. Thanks

As long as it doesn't do any harm I'm all for that. I'll tell the wife to turn the channel back over to the football. Thanks
Here is some info for dosing bicarb(NOTE: only use baking soda that contains sodium bicarbonate in its ingredients)

2. IF your pH level is in the 6.0 to 6.4 range (or if it drops that low during the cycle), prepare to raise the pH level with water changes or artificially (by adding baking soda). When pH drops that low, the bacteria stop reproducing. The recommended upper limit for pH during the cycle would be 8.0 - 8.4 (that is the sweet spot that the bacteria seem to prefer)
In the USA, just use Arm & Hammer Baking Soda, and in the UK, bicarbonate of soda. Experiment adding tsp or tbspns until you figure out how much you need. Get it too high? Water change it back down.

Keith.

I found that 1 teaspoon per 1 imperial gallon is the dose that is needed to buffer the water to pH8 ish.

I only needed to add one teaspoon and that bought it back up to my normal level of 7.4. How often should I check that the pH isn't dropping?

I only needed to add one teaspoon and that bought it back up to my normal level of 7.4. How often should I check that the pH isn't dropping?
The ideal pH level for fishless cycling is between 8.0-8.4, so it would not hurt to add one more teaspoon. When i was cycling i checked my pH(low range)every other day but near the end of my cycle(stage 3)i was checking every 12hrs because of the the high nitrAte content that was in my tank waters chemistry.

Keith.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back