In Two Minds, Led Help?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Ps3Steveo

Planted Experimentalist
Reaction score
I'm in two minds what to do with my 60 litre ARC, I'm taking out the 24W lamp and was fitting 6 x 3W LEDs in a DIY unit. The reason for this is I have some large root in there which casts a shadow on my substrate so some of the HC won't spread under it, with the LEDs I'll get a more even spread of light. But, I don't know whether to add 6 or 8 LEDs? I know with 6 it will be 18W but it will be more intense light but still I wonder if I should make it 8? Andy has 15 over his 125 litre I believe so do you think it will be ok, I have quite good flow and dose CO2 and ferts but I dont want a tank full of algae.

I can tell you that I have six over my 75L and they're plenty of light - even get the nice shimmer effect. the 18w from the LEDs is equivalent to a much higher wattage in T5s and such, as I'm sure you know

I honestly think 6-8 would be complete overkill, have you considered using 1W LED's instead?

I haven't mate, there already ordered so there on their way. You think supercoleys set up is over powerful lighting?

Super Coley has his suspended quite high up above the tank, I guess it would depend on how high you mount it.

Ah ha, mines gonna be at least 6 inches above, I'm not allowed to suspend it so it will be on 4 stilts.

Im only going for 4 1W ones in my 2 footer and I thought that would be enough lol, 6 3W would be pretty bright and probably too many for such a small tank.

If you've ordered them what about setting up with say 4 first and seeing how it goes, then add more if you think its needed?

Can't, I calculated that with the lens's I'd need at least 6 for an even spread of light.

Whats the tank dimensions? Sounds like I may need a rethink about my setup too if thats the case, I'll be mounting them to the hood (1 in each corner) then using a perspex condensation tray so I don't need to make individual LED covers. May experience the uneven spread your talking about?

Well it's because I'm using 45degree lens's is all, if your using the existing lighting you have plus LEDs you should be ok, if not using lens's or original lighting you'll need lens's really.

Where do I get the lenses from mate? Gonna just be using LED's because I'm just using an old worn out tube from my other tank at the moment

Mate put up sone pics of what you got, ideally you want high power LEDs, a driver, a heat sink and a lens's for each one.

I believe there's a link in my sig still for a diy pico led set up which I think shows all equipment needed, I'm not being sarcastic by the way lol I view on an iPhone so can't see sigs :).

I haven't ordered anything yet, wanted to make sure I have everything before getting my order in. I've got 1W LED's like SBS used, heatsinks for each, thermal paste, driver and power adapter on my list but thought maybe the plexiglass condensation tray I was gonna make would stop moisture from reaching the LED's?

If I need to add lenses I'll stick them on the list though.

Not been taken in that way mate so your ok lol, appreciate your help!

Yeah I'd get some lens's, I buy mine as a set from hong kong and just order how ever many sets and tell them the voltage I'd like and the colour. Led world on eBay.

Found 10 120 degree ones for £3.99, would they be ok? And I may be being a bit dumb but how do they attatch onto the LED's themselves, I'm using the "star" type LED if that makes any difference?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back