in the background

fishfinger

Reaction score
Hiya. Going to get my tank background today and maybe the substrate too.

So a couple of questions - do you stick the background to the inside or outside of the tank and what with? Has anyone stuck a background to more than one side of their tank before?

What looks best - rocks? plants? plain black/blue? or is it a matter of personal choice?

Any tips on substrate? Sand? Little stones?

Would you say that it is unwise to start with a betta? What other fish do they like to be with?

:S

I have in one one my tanks stuck the background on the inside using aquarium silicon. This takes 72hrs to cure before its safe to add water.
Looks stunning when light up.
all my others are on the outside and don't look as bright.
HTH

It's ok to start with a betta, that's what I did with my 46 gallon tank. Since bettas are tough, they will survive the turmoil that your tank goes through during the first week or so. Bettas do great with platies and swordtails, and most mollies (not sailfins, and not guppies). Don't put them in with gouramis or other bettas either, but you knew that :p ) Cories are great, as are most loaches like clowns and kuhlis. Basically the betta won't bother anything it can't catch, which is practically every fish out there. :X But seriously only put it with fish that don't have long, flowing fins, or fish that like to nip at long, flowing fins. Good luck. :cool: If you're going to go with live plants, especially sensitive ones, I would suggest a fine gravel (very small pebbles) as opposed to sand, which can restrict the roots and make for poor growth. Otherwise go with sand, I think it looks better anyway. ;)

Hey fishfinger. The decor really depends on what theme you want in your tank, but more importantly it depends on the type of fish you want to keep. Some fish can be very shy, even in groups(like the Tetra group) so you would need lots of plants(fake or live it doesn't matter) to help feel secure. Then there's cichlids which are territorial and often need places to hide and claim their territory, sp having driftwood, large rocks and caves would be an asset. If your going for bigger species you'll most likely have to pick bigger decor b/c smaller decor may get ruined (like having delicate live plants). But you're gonna have to have less of it for swimming space, etc you catch my drift.
Personally I wouldn't go for betta to start with b/c there's too much to work around(the aggressive personality, long flowing fins that many other species maybe tempted to nip, can only have of one it's kind together, etc). You could make it a nice community by adding a group of tetras, with group of barbs, then a school of cories down below for example. Or you can turn it into a species tank by going with smaller cichlids.
For gravel I would go for the smallest/finest gravel you can find in a natural tone. I think it looks very real and cories are able to dig in it without damaging their barbells, unlike with bigger gravel. As for the background, I stick all of mine on the outside, usually with clear tape.
Good luck wth the decisions and remember to check back with us. :p

Thanks everyone. Have got the substrate - small natural coloured stones as you all advised! I got the background and am going to try it on the inside - I think :(

Many congrats on your forthcoming wedding by the way danio - I read with interest of your proposal to sunflower and the happy result - awww! :wub:

Still undecided on the fish - lots of advice to sift through! :S

One guy I spoke to at my lfs hadn't heard of fishless cycling or otos - I'm not sure if he was winding me up!

Got lots of thinking to do, but no doubt I'll be back with more questions.

Just one more - what do you all think of the magazine, "Practical Fishkeeping" (UK) - is it worth getting?

to attach the background to the inside you will need
1x tube aquarium sealer
1x roller of some kind (I used a walpaper seam roller)

first make sure the glass is clean and free from grease etc
then make a line of sealant around all four edges
then do diagonal lines about 2" apart inside the border
carefully attach the background, smooth out with you hands
use the roller, starting at the bottom, to get any airbubbles out

Silicon sealer will dry in 12hrs set in 24hrs and be fully cured in 72hrs
when cured add water and start the cycle
good luck :thumbs:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online