In need of some fresh water...

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

emeraldking

Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
With the current heat wave that our country (and a lot of other european countries) is dealing with, the water in the outdoor livebearer pool is drastically evaporating...
So, time to add some water...

You can reduce evaporation by putting bubblewrap on the pond. Leave a section open for air but you can cover 90% with bubblewrap and it floats. The only drawback is if the pond gets full sun, then the bubblewrap will increase the water temperature. In this case, don't add bubblewrap unless the water is cold and you want to warm it up.

Do you have any live plants in the pond. There is something floating but anything under the water?

You can reduce evaporation by putting bubblewrap on the pond. Leave a section open for air but you can cover 90% with bubblewrap and it floats. The only drawback is if the pond gets full sun, then the bubblewrap will increase the water temperature. In this case, don't add bubblewrap unless the water is cold and you want to warm it up.

Do you have any live plants in the pond. There is something floating but anything under the water?
The pool itself is partially in the sun and partially shaded. There are live plants in there, floaters and in pots.

While I know nothing at all about outside ponds other than they tend to be wet... ;)

Would tinted window screening possibly work better than bubble wrap? Just a thought but it would seem to me to cut down on the sunlight that gets to the pond surface along with still allowing air flow to prevent a rise in temperature. Actually, with tinted screening, it might even lower water temperature slightly as it would be like light shade. Also fine mesh screening would catch some of the evaporated water returning to the pond as it collects and drips.

Sorry if my thoughts on this are nonsense, just seemed sensible to me. :dunno:

The pool itself is partially in the sun and partially shaded. There are live plants in there, floaters and in pots.
Don't put anything over the water even partial sun will heat the dramatically Even a plain plastic sheet without bubbles will heat it up There is bubble wrap specifically designed to cover swimming bools and the water directly under it will get hot. The plastic also prevents evaporation so there would be no evaporative cooling.

YOU cud put a sun shad over the pond to educe solar heating which should slow evaporation but still allows evaporative cooling.

I'm thinking of buying a triangular shade cloth that is offered at some stores. See if that might help...

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back