In Need Of Serious Advice

KirbyBTF

Reaction score
I have recently set up a 55g long brackish tank. Salinity is at 1.006 right now. I have pool filter sand as the substrate and am cycling it with guppies in preparation for my fish. I have had a plan for this tank since day 1 and have recently been having some doubts as to wether or not it will work. I've done copious research on the topic and have gotten mixed reviews. I plan on having the left side of the tank be a bumblebee goby habitat with various shells and caves and such. The right side of the tank will be a large cave for a snowflake moray. And the center will be a perfect roaming ground for my two freshwater flounders. The salinity required for BB Gobies/Flounder is approx. 1.006 but the salinity for the moray will be upwards of 1.020 (optimally). My first question is will it be possible to meet a middle ground with these two levels of salinity and have all my tank mates flourish. Note, I do not want them to just be "accepting" of the salinity. I would prefer they all are able to live comfortably at around 1.014 or something along those lines, is this possible? My second question is, if introduced at the same time, will all three species live together in harmony? None of those are very aggressive fish however the BB gobies will easily fit in the mouth of the flounders and the moray, (Hence the separation of the two) and the flounders will be under the sand most of the time. I would really like to make this work some how, this is my ideal setup and have been dreaming of it for a while now. Any and all advice given will be taken to heart. Please be harsh in your advice as well, if this is a stupid plan and it won't work...tell me so. Thank you in advance for any help. 

Snowflakes are one of those things sold as a 'freshwater' fish. They're not. I'd leave it out if you can't supply it with the optimal
environment.

I'm aware of that, they actually do quite well in full marine environments as well. They can only be in fresh water as juveniles, once they grow however they NEED to move up to brackish/marine. 1.022 SG is optimal. Hoping to be able to adapt to 1.010 if possible. Really looking for someone who has experience adapting a snowflake moray into slightly lower salinity.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back