I'm adopting fish-help

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

You said Not to cleaning the filter but the tank is not the same tank as they are living in now but someone is giving me one. The filter hasn't been used in a while so I assumed it would need cleaned out. I've been reading up on the fish preferences, temp, tank mates, food etc. I have to do a bit more on frogs. As you suggest I will get a plant(one to start?) and some floating ones ASAP before they come .
Do you believe they will die in my a new watered/conditioned tank?
Very possibly.
A brief description of cycling;
Fish make waste, namely ammonia, which is very toxic to them and burns them.
You need to grow beneficial bacteria in your tank.
This BB will turn ammonia into nitrites. Nitrites are also toxic.
More BB will turn nitrites into nitrates. This isn't usually harmful.

(This is why you need a testing kit, so you can measure the ammonia, nitrites and nitrates in your tank, as well as pH and hardness).

Plants, (plural) especially floating plants, are very good at processing those toxins.

You can cycle a tank with fish in, but to do that, it helps to know what you're doing.
Oh dear, its all very negative about me adopting them,
Is this purely on the short cycle tank time? Or because they are being moved in the first place?
I know...apologies, but it got you paying close attention. ;)
To answer your question, it's about the short cycle time. The longer you have to cycle, the better the chance of everything going as it should, with fewer bumps along the way.

Just what IS the rush?

That is rescuing animals is good and you may need to make a few modifications.
You Good Cop, me Bad Cop! :D

Here is the article on cycling that was referred to.

Or you could scan your eyes over my own tank set-up blog here. I didn't need to add ammonia artificially and used Microbe-Lift products for the extra bacteria.

You Good Cop, me Bad Cop! :D

Here is the article on cycling that was referred to.

Or you could scan your eyes over my own tank set-up blog here. I didn't need to add ammonia artificially and used Microbe-Lift products for the extra bacteria.
1581B65F-4C5F-49C0-91CB-4F5B7EB58F33.jpeg

So guys... This all seems very negitive for the fish and frogs survival. Presently they are all kept in a small tank
Very possibly.
A brief description of cycling;
Fish make waste, namely ammonia, which is very toxic to them and burns them.
You need to grow beneficial bacteria in your tank.
This BB will turn ammonia into nitrites. Nitrites are also toxic.
More BB will turn nitrites into nitrates. This isn't usually harmful.

(This is why you need a testing kit, so you can measure the ammonia, nitrites and nitrates in your tank, as well as pH and hardness).

Plants, (plural) especially floating plants, are very good at processing those toxins.

You can cycle a tank with fish in, but to do that, it helps to know what you're doing.

I know...apologies, but it got you paying close attention. ;)
To answer your question, it's about the short cycle time. The longer you have to cycle, the better the chance of everything going as it should, with fewer bumps along the way.

Just what IS the rush?
Sorry guys phone running. Out o batteries will have to check in tomorrow. Thanks for you time. Rush is owner selling on and the for mentioned fish frogs are presently stuffedto a tiny tank.. I am thinking in rescuing them from a bad situation of someone who doesn't care buying them but it seems will just be killing them anyway.... Maybe I should just leave them, let her sell them on in her own tank (which I can't afford to buy). And how they get a new owner who cares enough to look after them.
What do you ask think.
I will have to look back in the morning Time. Thanks for you honest.
It seems that I'm not rescuing them just killing them quicker.

So guys... This all seems very negitive for the fish and frogs survival. Presently they are all kept in a small tank

Sorry guys phone running. Out o batteries will have to check in tomorrow. Thanks for you time. Rush is owner selling on and the for mentioned fish frogs are presently stuffedto a tiny tank.. I am thinking in rescuing them from a bad situation of someone who doesn't care buying them but it seems will just be killing them anyway.... Maybe I should just leave them, let her sell them on in her own tank (which I can't afford to buy). And how they get a new owner who cares enough to look after them.
What do you ask think.
How much is the old tank? The cost? Do you use PayPal? I’m willing to send you free money if possible. PM me. I donate every month to animal rescue groups & occasionally to individuals

What do you ask think.
I recommend you pass on these fish and frogs. This gives you time to establish your tank and get more suitable and compatible tank mates. If you can find out the hardness (GH) and pH of your water supply that will guide you to appropriate species. If you are keen to rehome neglected fish and frogs there will surely be others available when your tank is ready.

How much is the old tank? The cost? Do you use PayPal? I’m willing to send you free money if possible. PM me. I donate every month to animal rescue groups & occasionally to individuals
Very thoughtful... But don't worry. I'll sort something
I recommend you pass on these fish and frogs. This gives you time to establish your tank and get more suitable and compatible tank mates. If you can find out the hardness (GH) and pH of your water supply that will guide you to appropriate species. If you are keen to rehome neglected fish and frogs there will surely be others available when your tank is ready.
I think you are right... The advice here has been great. I'd be killing them with kindness. Too much to take on for a novice. I'm unprepared.

So guys thanks everyone, great that you took the time to help. In conclusion I think I will pass on these fish, the will be more I can help. Its probably better I start with a well cycled tank and a few health fish and get that going a while as I learn the ropes. Get my kits and bits and pieces and in the future I will beable to do it all correctly. The probability I will kill these ones is high. Thanks everyone.

Thanks very kind. Best for me to pass on these fish I think.

Most reactions

Back