I'll Upgrade My Tank...

Snooks1!

Fish Addict
Joined
Dec 11, 2007
Messages
772
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Mid-east Missouri
A common line I see is :

" I have XX fish in an XXX volume tank, but I'm going to upgrade to an XXXX when the fish outgrow my XXX tank. "


How often or not do you think this is really true? Or do you think that some people are just saying this as an excuse? I think it's funny that they usually always put that the fish is happy and healthy in the tank at this time, and that they see no need to get said fish a larger tank until it's already too big for the current one...This to me seems very strange. If they 'loved' and 'cared' for their fish as much as they fool themselves into thinking...Wouldn't it make sense to get a larger tank as soon as possible? Rather than wait until the fish has become stunted from being in such cramped quarters? Which brings me to my next question....Just how does one know when their fish has 'outgrown' the smaller tank? Though, I'm not saying that this is the case every time...It just seems to be said a bit too often for all accounts to be 100% true, or at least happen within a reasonable margin of time.
 
I know where you are coming from – but...
It often depends on how comfortable you are with what you're used to.
I have a 7 inch fantail goldfish in a heavily planted and filtered 2 foot tank. He shares this space with breeding colonies of WCM minnows, golden apple snails, tubifex worms, and Gammarus shrimps. It does not give him much room to swim around, but after his 20th birthday, he wasn't that keen on doing more than a couple of circuits of the tank per day. He has slowed own a lot since his boyfriend died about 5 years ago, but you do when you get a bit older, and 20 years + ain't bad for a tiny goldfish that only cost 1/3d in old money.
I'm not feeling guilty...
 
In my earlier days of fish keeping did this same philosophy, oh I'll get a bigger tank, next thing you know I have two black pacus the size of dinner plates in a 120. I took care of them and donated them to a 4, 000 gallon tank though with other black pacus. In my opinion and from experience you should only buy a fish if you have the room, not what you plan to have. Financial and other burdens can always come up, leaving your fish to suffer. If you plan to grow out a fish, make sure you have a tank large enough for it when you buy it, for when it finally grows out
 
Yup, hindsight is no substitute for research. We all make mistakes when we start off, at anything – pet keeping in particular. Everyone knows that a cute little tiger cub won't remain cute and harmless for long, but that cute little arowana at your LFS is no less dangerous in a community tank.
Never, ever buy any fish on impulse!
Research, research, research each one before you buy..!
 
i think if you are new to the hobby,and have a crap lfs,you could in all honesty keep a bala shark in a goldfish bowl,as long as the sales person,gave you all the advice with a smile on his face and a convincing tone,its a shame but i know it happens ( no i didnt keep a shark in a bowl) ive had single bala sharks in a tank with other fish, ive had fancy guppies in with a siamese fighting fish,i also ( dont scream at me:( ) kept 2 goldfish in a bowl!!,but like eclectic sod says, theres no excuse for this,and hopefully we will see this happening less and less,with sites like this one and all the reserch info availible online,
i definatley say ... dont buy anything till you have researched it, not a tank till you know what fish you want, not a fish till you know what tank/mates they need.........it would save a hell of a lot of grief further down the line,
if proper research is done then you will know that you cant keep goldfish in a tiny tank as they get massive,or stunted,both cruel in a small tank.--- thus ensuring happy fish and keepers

ill shut up now
shelagh xxxxxx
 
A common line I see is :

" I have XX fish in an XXX volume tank, but I'm going to upgrade to an XXXX when the fish outgrow my XXX tank. "


How often or not do you think this is really true?

I can't speak for everyone but in my case it is absolutely true. I was given an Oscar years ago in a 2ft tank and I upgraded 3 times until he was in a sutiible sized tank. As for knowing when to upgrade it's a matter of common sense\as soon as possible.
 
I think it's a little irresponsible to buy a fish that you may have/havn't done your reasearch on, knowing/unknwing it is eventually going to outgrow ur tank, and not actually upgrade your tank!!!
I personally wouldn't take that risk without having a tank ready! Your increasing your chances of stress&Infection.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top