If Ur A Fish Lover

June FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

that is not a big organization and how do u know what is being said is true? Where do they get all that the information from anyways

I don't think it really matters just how big an organisation it is or isn't, or even how many fish die from the process. The point is, even if none of them died, they would still be dipped substances that are strong/irritating enough to strip the slime coat, then stimulate the fish to produce a new one. All for colour that will not last. And you can't tell me that they like this, or being injected, or that being exposed to so many chemicals is good for their health!! Even if the 80% dead figure isn't quite right, 100% are still being subjected to an incredibly cruel practice and dangerous chemicals.

If anyone's interesting in signing an online petition against the practice, go to http://www.petitiononline.com/fishtank/petition.html I'm not sure who it's going to be sent to but hopefully someone important.

I do not agree with dyeing fish, and I would not buy from a shop which sells dyed fish. Apart from being unnecessary - as many have pointed out, fish are beautiful enough in their natural condition - it seems to me that there's little doubt that it causes stress and shortens lifespans.

We know from our own experience that fish can feel stress. Moving them into a new tank, giving them tankmates or surroundings not to their liking - we've all seen these things cause stress and make them susceptible to disease. It's certain that the way in which fish are dyed would cause a great deal of stress.

However I'm not convinced that web sites such as this do our cause so much good as it seems at first sight. Patrick's views may not be the majority, but he asks valid questions of this site.

First, do fish feel pain? That's been a matter of argument amongst scientists for years and years. I'm not sure it's relevant to this debate, however, because whether or not they feel pain, they DO get stressed, as I've mentioned; this is beyond argument for anyone who's ever kept fish.

Second, this site is VERY low on evidence to back up its findings. Do remember that anyone can put up a web site, and it's up to us to decide to what extent they're giving us fact or opinion. For instance, the "headline" that 80% of coloured fish will die prematurely is presumably taken from this paragraph:

"Several procedures are implemented in order to alter the color and shape of tropical fish. Coloring fish stresses them and makes them more susceptible to disease. Some methods result in mortality rates as high as 80%. Many of the surviving fish will live shorter life spans and most tend to lose the artificial coloring in just a few short months."

Note - SOME methods result in mortality rates AS HIGH AS 80%. In other words, this doesn't justify the "80% of all dyed fish will die" claim. Neither does it give details of the scientific study which produced this result.

Don't get me wrong - one fish killed by this process is too many. I would just like to see some more informed studies of this, with proper evidence. Because if we're going to stamp out this policy, which most of us would like to do, we're going to need to be sure of our facts, not use rhetoric that doesn't stand up to closer scrutiny.

All of this IMHO of course! :)

Brilliant post and points WWE

I totally agree with you. As far as I am concerned there is no doubt that the fish feel some sort of discomfort from the dyeing process. Any chemical that can strip a slime coat is an irritant and therefore not nice to have done to you.

I also agree that deathbydyeing.org is very shy to tell where it's information is coming from and that you shouldn'e believe everything that is read on the net.

Saying this, I still believe that dyeing fish is WRONG. Knowingly buying dyed fish is wrong and knowingly selling dyed fish is wrong. I understand some people want to 'save' the fish but those which think it's fine are morally misguided.

I don't care if no fish die, it's still not right.

IMHO, whatever that particular organization may or may not be, the cause it supports is good.

Here's a link to a very well respected source of information about the topic:

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/pfk/...p?article_id=72

_____
I think that this is a good time for a Modly reminder that although people have strong feelings about this subject, we must debate our differences in a friendly manner with respect for those with whom we disagree.

Let's also keep on topic, which in this case is the practice of dying fish. For a discussion of Glofish, you cannot beat this one:

http://fish.orbust.net/forums/index.php?sh...7454&hl=genetic

waterwatereverywhere said:
I do not agree with dyeing fish, and I would not buy from a shop which sells dyed fish. Apart from being unnecessary - as many have pointed out, fish are beautiful enough in their natural condition - it seems to me that there's little doubt that it causes stress and shortens lifespans.

We know from our own experience that fish can feel stress. Moving them into a new tank, giving them tankmates or surroundings not to their liking - we've all seen these things cause stress and make them susceptible to disease. It's certain that the way in which fish are dyed would cause a great deal of stress.

However I'm not convinced that web sites such as this do our cause so much good as it seems at first sight. Patrick's views may not be the majority, but he asks valid questions of this site.

First, do fish feel pain? That's been a matter of argument amongst scientists for years and years. I'm not sure it's relevant to this debate, however, because whether or not they feel pain, they DO get stressed, as I've mentioned; this is beyond argument for anyone who's ever kept fish.

Second, this site is VERY low on evidence to back up its findings. Do remember that anyone can put up a web site, and it's up to us to decide to what extent they're giving us fact or opinion. For instance, the "headline" that 80% of coloured fish will die prematurely is presumably taken from this paragraph:

"Several procedures are implemented in order to alter the color and shape of tropical fish. Coloring fish stresses them and makes them more susceptible to disease. Some methods result in mortality rates as high as 80%. Many of the surviving fish will live shorter life spans and most tend to lose the artificial coloring in just a few short months."

Note - SOME methods result in mortality rates AS HIGH AS 80%. In other words, this doesn't justify the "80% of all dyed fish will die" claim. Neither does it give details of the scientific study which produced this result.

Don't get me wrong - one fish killed by this process is too many. I would just like to see some more informed studies of this, with proper evidence. Because if we're going to stamp out this policy, which most of us would like to do, we're going to need to be sure of our facts, not use rhetoric that doesn't stand up to closer scrutiny.

All of this IMHO of course! :)
This jas to be the best reply in this whole Thread. :)

The people who said catching fish for research is wrong: this isn't Japanese research whaling. We only keep 20 or so fish, which we kill quickly and painlessly and clip mabye 150. Sure, it causes a fish pain to be clipped, but it is completely harmless. The fish have 1.5 inch pectoral fins, we take off maybe an eighth of an inch of fin. It is nothing like dyeing fish at all; it's not like any die or even suffer as much as a dyed fish in the process. Even if a fish did die, he would just be eaten by another fish.

The lake we sample from has a very unique population of fish. There are 2 kinds of smelt there; Dwarf Smelt and Smelt. Only 3 or 4 other lakes in our province have populations like that. The research is to find out more about the origin of these fish, determine if a hybrid species is formed and protect their populations.

We did research like this when we lived in Seattle as well. It was to check on salmon populations, as well as making sure farmed salmon aren't in the rivers.

By the way, the blood parrot in my signature isn't mine. It's my dads, who bought two. One was being attacked by the other, so it was moved to my fishtank.

I never said that the practicee of dyeing fish was humane I just said we shouldn't judge people on there preferences (we should base ouropinion of them on there actions A.K.A. something that they have control over) and that death by dyeing is not big and has questionable information. That artical that Inch posted stated that 70% (60%+10%) of the glass fish are liveing lives that are no different than normal glass fish lives I think that is a bit off to but I'm certainly more inclined to take the word of an icthologyst than a sight that looks like it was mad by a 14 year old.

Opcn

Well I go fishing with my uncle but we do kill them in a HUMANE way. We cut there heads off. :blink: ;)

I really hate to bring this post all the way to the front, but I have something to say. Dyed fish is bad :grr: and shouldn't be allowed at all becuse fish suffers alot. BUT don't you think that there are people out there that torture fishes far worst than those being injected??????? - I am talking about rookies.
There are rookies out there with 30 fishes in a 3 gallon tank with temperatures of 55 degrees, no filter and unbelieveable ammonia and nitrate levels!!!! (not to mention their water is murky!) Isn't that more torturing then a fish being dyed in a big 30 gallon tank with good water conditions and temperature?? So why not let's start educating these rookies who are killing more fishes than people dyeing fishes?
Don't get me wrong, I am TOTALLY against dyed fish, but my point is that we should be more worried about rookies that think fishkeeping is just simply dumping a fish into a tank and wonder why it died!!

-Chewy-

Well its true chewy We should start a new topic about that :D

Most reactions

Back