Identify This Catfish!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Cgosch

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I recently purchased this cat from an aquarium store in Hollywood. It was simply labeled "catfish" and I was hoping somebody could help me identify what species the little guy is. It's mostly black (including eyes), a reddish tinge in its tail, and long white whiskers. Any hints would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 136
Could we have a picture of it in your tank please.

It's very difficult to identify fish out of the water like that (it's also incredibly stressful for the fish).

As above, out of water makes it tricky, but that head reminds me a lot of the Phyllonemus and Lophiobagrus genera (catfish from Lake Tanganyika).

It is not easy getting a pic of this guy, he only comes out of his cave at night

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 146
That newer photo does not help.

Have a look at Phyllonemus typus, http://www.planetcatfish.com/common/species.php?species_id=306 , looking at your original photo it looks like the long barbel ends thicker, which is a good way to determine P. typus from these other catfish from Tanganyika.

This might well be a good candidate to post a thread for the catfish experts at PlanetCatfish, this is not a common hobby fish, for sure.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back