Ideas on numbers and what to fill with

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Arron90

Reaction score
Hi guys

In the next few weeks Iā€™m buying a tank, the one Iā€™ve seen is 120L. Iā€™ve seen some fish I like the look of but Iā€™m unsure on numbers I can have of each or any better suggestions on how to fill it. Below are the types of fish I like the look of and I wondered if you could suggest a number make up or suggest one of your own for me to think about

neon tetras
Guppies
Swordtails
Pleco

also would you have snails to help with cleaning

im new to all this so any combination suggestions I am open to :)

The best thing would be to first determine what the Hardness (GH) and pH of your tap water is. Do you know if your tap water is hard or soft, and what the GH (degrees Gh or ppm GH) is? If you don't, you can find this out by checking your water provider's website. The hardness and pH of your water will ultimately determine what type of fish you will be able to keep.

Agree. Also, if you are thinking of the 120 liter, can you give us the dimensions? Volume is one thing, but there are longer tanks and shorter/taller tanks for most of them, each having the swame volume. Swimming activity levels of a fish can determine if it needs the longer or the taller will work, so it helps when considering species to know the dimensions. A 120 liter is roughly 30 gallons, so that is a good size for smallish fish, and the GH and pH will send us in the right direction.

The water is very hard, pH 7.52

tank is 50 x 80 x 35

Thanks for your help I look forward to a response

pH and hardness are two different things... you can have water with a pH of 7.52 that could be soft or hard... GH is the measure of hardness and can be expressed in two different units... degrees or ppm... Check your water provider to find out what the hardness is.

The water is very hard, pH 7.52

tank is 50 x 80 x 35

Thanks for your help I look forward to a response

Do you have the actual number for the GH? This is the more important of the two (GH and pH). I assume the dimensions are in cm., and the length is 80 cm?

Do you have the actual number for the GH? This is the more important of the two (GH and pH). I assume the dimensions are in cm., and the length is 80 cm?
Yes mate the length is 80cm
It says the hardness is very hard on Severn Trent water... hardness clark 21.53

pH and hardness are two different things... you can have water with a pH of 7.52 that could be soft or hard... GH is the measure of hardness and can be expressed in two different units... degrees or ppm... Check your water provider to find out what the hardness is.
21.53 is the hardness Clark when I look on Severn Trent and they state itā€™s very hard.... ph is 7.52

Yes mate the length is 80cm
It says the hardness is very hard on Severn Trent water... hardness clark 21.53

As I convert it, (with 1 d Clarke = 1.25 dGH), 21.53 is 27 dGH, which is hard, so now we know what you're working with. Livebearers are fine so far as parameters are concerned. Neon tetra, no. Pleco, they are really soft water fish but there may be some suited to this hardness, pothers can advise; but be careful of sixze as some grow to 12 inches (30cm) and beyond and they produce a lot of waste.

As an adult, swordtails range from four to as large as six inches; in aquaria 4-5 inches is normal, with females slightly larger than males. You will commonly find them from two to three inches in pet shops. At that size they are generally six to nine months old. A bit longer tank would be preferable, but given the water you are going to be limited in species suited, and if you like swordtails they are certainly suited to the water, so that can work. Other livebearers are platies, mollies, guppies and Endlers.

As you say you are new to aquaria, I will mention that livebearers will produce dozens of fry monthly if females and males are together. And once impregnated, a female can deliver several batches of fry without males in the tank. This can quickly become a real problem. Some will get eaten but likely not anywhere near all of them, and it is not that easy getting rid of fry to stores.

The way to avoid this is only stock males. They are the more colourful with some of these (only the males have the sword, and male guppies/Endlers are more colourful).

As I convert it, (with 1 d Clarke = 1.25 dGH), 21.53 is 27 dGH, which is hard, so now we know what you're working with. Livebearers are fine so far as parameters are concerned. Neon tetra, no. Pleco, they are really soft water fish but there may be some suited to this hardness, pothers can advise; but be careful of sixze as some grow to 12 inches (30cm) and beyond and they produce a lot of waste.

As an adult, swordtails range from four to as large as six inches; in aquaria 4-5 inches is normal, with females slightly larger than males. You will commonly find them from two to three inches in pet shops. At that size they are generally six to nine months old. A bit longer tank would be preferable, but given the water you are going to be limited in species suited, and if you like swordtails they are certainly suited to the water, so that can work. Other livebearers are platies, mollies, guppies and Endlers.

As you say you are new to aquaria, I will mention that livebearers will produce dozens of fry monthly if females and males are together. And once impregnated, a female can deliver several batches of fry without males in the tank. This can quickly become a real problem. Some will get eaten but likely not anywhere near all of them, and it is not that easy getting rid of fry to stores.

The way to avoid this is only stock males. They are the more colourful with some of these (only the males have the sword, and male guppies/Endlers are more colourful).

So if it was your tank, how would you fill it, with what fish/numbers. Iā€™m looking for colourful so the Mrs doesnā€™t complain as itā€™s gonna be in living room!

As I convert it, (with 1 d Clarke = 1.25 dGH), 21.53 is 27 dGH, which is hard, so now we know what you're working with.
It's the other way round Byron. 1 dGH = 1.25 d Clarke. So the hardness isn't quite as hard as 27 dGH.

21.53 d Clarke = 17.2 dGH or 308 ppm. Still very hard though.

(I used 2 different calculators to check :))

It's the other way round Byron. 1 dGH = 1.25 d Clarke. So the hardness isn't quite as hard as 27 dGH.

21.53 d Clarke = 17.2 dGH or 308 ppm. Still very hard though.

(I used 2 different calculators to check :))

Thank you again, you always sort things out for me on conversions. I must have multiplied instead of dividing. :rolleyes:

Agree, we are still dealing with hard water fish, and livebearers are good here. Rainbowfish as essjay mentioned while I was typing are another group to look at; some ned soft but several are moderately hard water. This will open up a few possibilities for oddball catfish (plecos were mentioned, perhaps a Whiptail now.?

So if it was your tank, how would you fill it, with what fish/numbers. Iā€™m looking for colourful so the Mrs doesnā€™t complain as itā€™s gonna be in living room!

I am not up on the atherinids (rainbowfishes are in this order) but Colin is, or you could do a search of them.. For livebearers, platies, mollies (black esp) and swordtails could provide lots of colour.

Bristle nose pleco does fine in my tank with water hardness of 15 dGH (253ppm). You could try, see if you like a BN plec, but they do produce lots of waste.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back