Id Please

beany_bot

Fish Crazy
Joined
Apr 21, 2008
Messages
268
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Loch Lomond, Scotland.
Hi folks, I asked for 5x beautiful yellow Mollys from my LFS the other day (well actually it was Pets@Home, yeah i know, i know, :blush: ) And when I got them home there seems to be a "rogue" fish in the tank. It doesnt hang about with or look exactly like the other Mollys and its more of an orange colour. Is it a Platy? have i been mis-sold? I asked and paid for 5x Mollys!

Below is picture of said "rogue" fish. Below it again is a picture of one of the actual Mollys.

MollyorPlaty.jpg


Molly.jpg


Thanks Guys!
 
i don't have mollys but that sure looks like a platy why not ask in the live bearer section
 
that is definately a platy
both mollys and platys (as well as guppies) are all live bearers, or live-bearing tooth carps to give them their official name
 
that is definately a platy
both mollys and platys (as well as guppies) are all live bearers, or live-bearing tooth carps to give them their official name

THANKS! :good: so now what do i do? lol i have only 1x platy? do i need more, will it be ok on its own (never really liked platys thats why i didnt buy them!! lol
 
I'd complain to the place I bought it from and ask for the Mollie you paid for as in my experience platties are much cheaper.
 
ooooh, that yellow molly is so nice B-)

it looks so different to my black female lye tail molly (sp?)
 
yep its a female platy, she will be fine alone, the molly is lovely, never seen one like it before
 
The platy will probably fare better with time than the mollies will, IME mollies in freshwater tanks never get to their full size and usually just waste away.

I kept being told by people that mollies did fine in freshwater, so I decided to try it with 2 beautiful mollies that looked exactly the same as yours. I made sure the tank had the recommended hard alkaline water using tufa rock (just over pH8) and kept my nitrates below 10ppm. They were always active and ate well, but after about 3 months they developed some kind of swimbladder problem, looked weak and skinny, and after 4 months they were gone - with no apparent disease or parasites.
They never noticeably grew over the 4 months I had them either.
Personally, I'd suggest you avid the trouble and just replace them all with platies - much more suited to freshwater, and don't even mind slightly acidic water :good: .
 
My pH is 7.8 and my mollies are cool with freshwater-not a hint of salt-they grow big ,keep active and well too. Maybe i'm lucky!
 

Most reactions

Back
Top