I Think I'm Worrying Over Nothing But....

Miss Wiggle

Practically perfect in every way
Joined
Mar 24, 2006
Messages
13,057
Reaction score
5
Points
0
Location
York
Got a shoal of harlequin rasbora's in one of my tanks, they're about 4+ yrs old so reaching the end of they're life span. Lost one a few weeks back when I was having a bad day, completely forgot to test the water and just took him out and did a water change..... tested the water after and it was fine but obviously that's not a v good indication of what it was before. Been keeping an eye on the tank, no signs of disease on any of the fish and for the most part they look healthy and happy, but now one of the rasbora's is looking a little off colour and not moving a lot. Just done a water test, nitrate is v slightly too high but not enough to be concerned with, added some nitrate reducing stuff to be on the safe side. Done a water change and put a bit of stress zyme in with the new water, try and perk them up a bit.

Pretty sure it's just old age that's got them off colour, what does anyone reckon? Anything else I can do to test whats wrong or make them better?

If a fish dies of old age is there anything you need to do, obviously if a young fish dies you need to work out why etc, but if that's not an issue is just doing a water change and keeping an eye on the levels etc enough?
 
It could be old age, not much to go on really, going pale is a sign of stress, is he laboured breathing, or flicking and rubbing, does he still hang around with the other harlequins.
 
It could be old age, not much to go on really, going pale is a sign of stress, is he laboured breathing, or flicking and rubbing, does he still hang around with the other harlequins.

none of that, just looking a bit pale but breathing fine etc. earlier on he was chilling by himself but now he's schooling with the rest of them pretty happily.

anything else I can do to check for problems?
 
Being pale is a sign of something not right, yes look for signs of parasites and bacterial infections, though it just could mean his time up, sorry, good luck.
 
If there's nitrites in the water it means the tank is cycling, that could explain the pale color in the fish- you should test for ammonia as well- how many gallons/litres is the tank?
 
it's nitrAte, not nitrite..... tested for amonia too and there's none in.

what I know about nitrate is there should be some in the water.... but not loads... it's nowhere nearly as harmful as nitrite or amonia but can be a little unhealthy for the fish.

the tank's about 75litres
 
How high is the nitrate reading.
 
How high is the nitrate reading.

my test kit say's anything under 40ppm is OK and you should have some, it looks pretty much bang on 40 to me

:/

so I don't reckon it's a massive problem.

Added some nitrate minus stuff though so that should be coming down a bit shortly.
 
Thats fine then, i don't like them nitrate remover chemicals my self, best way to me is water changes, good luck.
 
I try to avoid all chemicals in my tank if I can.

Very rarely put anything in, just keep doing water changes and add salt if they're poorly.

But as he's looking poorly and I had some lying around I thought I'd try it :/ will just have to keep my fingers crossed and keep testing the water!

thanks for the help by the way.... how rude of me not to say it before! :rolleyes:
 
my you rude little girl.....

i can`t see it being illness as none of the other fish look ill, no one else is showing any symptoms and the fishys are at a grand old age
 
oh and also a water change and the nitrate minus stuff seems to have worked a treat :D

all my fishes look happy and healthy again :D

only did a water change a few days ago so I'm not sure how it's become an issue so soon?? But never mind, if it's worked it's worked n that's all that really matters :D
 
Hi,

Harlequins live 8-10 years so its unlikely to be old age unless you bought them as adults.

Emma :)

Hi Emma,

I looked it up the other day and I'm sure the life span I found was 4/5 yrs..... just had a quick look in my fish books though and it doesn't say anything, must have got it off the web somewhere. Must be duff info!

Well at least if I can rule out old age thats something, I'll keep a v close eye on them for a bit :)

Thanks

hmmm just googled the lifespan and got anything between 2 and 15 yrs ?!?!?! helpful :/

anyone else confirm/deny what Emma said

@Emma, no offence, don't mean to sound like I don't believe you, just like to get a few opinions! :)
 

Most reactions

Back
Top