I Need To Vent!

Assaye

Fish Gatherer
Joined
Jun 24, 2009
Messages
2,061
Reaction score
6
Points
38
Location
York, UK
A friend of mine recently gave me her red-tail black shark. She had him with a featherfin catfish in a 28 litre tank with no plans to upgrade. They were both about 3 inches long, the featherfin perhaps a little longer. The tank is also nearly bare with bright lights, white substrate and one fake-crocodile skull hiding place. There is no cover from the lights or plants. The fish are totally inactive.

She gave me the rtbs because she added 4 tiger barbs to the set-up and the rtbs attacked and killed them. She says it's a 'trouble maker' and wanted rid of it, so I said I'd put it in my 3 gallon until I could move him to my 23 gallon, which was cycling.

Now she's bought another, larger featherfin (about 4-5 inches) and put it in the 28 litre. Not only that, but she wants the rtbs back (on her understanding that I was just 'looking after' it) and she's giving it to a 12 year old to put in another 28 litre tank!!

I've tried dropping hints that these tanks are too small, and I've even stated outright that they both need much larger tanks (upwards of 40 gallons for a permanent home) but she's having none of it. They are 'fine' and because she's relatively low on cash and living in her boyfriend's grandparents' spare room, she's not even thinking about upgrades. Despite all of this, she keeps getting new fish on impulse, without even researching them. She'll ask the people at P@H whether the fish is OK in her set up, and they'll say something stupid like "yeah, a rainbow shark is fine in 3 gallons" and then she'll buy them.

Everytime I see the fish something has died or been given away to make room for something newer and more exciting. She never keeps the fish in shoals that need to shoal to be happy, and she has 2 congo tetra, one black phantom tetra, one platy, two mollys, one pearl danio, two zebra danio, one black-ghost knife fish in her 80 litre.

I keep dropping hints but as I got into the hobby much later than her, she seems to think she knows more than me. The truth is, she wouldn't know a cory from a common plec.

I'm tearing my hair out but don't want to ruin a 13 year friendship!

EDIT - I even offered to help the kid getting the rtbs find a new tank, so that I could try to steer him towards a decent sized one on the cheap, but she says "he wants to pick his own tank, thanks". I just hope the kid it enthusiatic and computer literate enough to get online and do some research.
 
I know you are thinking about the fish but sometimes it's best not to say anything, as if you have already told her just leave it, and whenever they mention fish tank just ignore them. And when a fish dies say "well I did tell you I wasn't saying it for no reason".

Or you could show her a factfile of the fish from numerous websites and say "this many people can't be wrong, and the people who do these factfiles are experienced fishkeepers and know best"

Pets at home staff make you cry. I think a load of experienced fish keepers should go in and apply for a job and sort the place out!!!
 
I know you are thinking about the fish but sometimes it's best not to say anything, as if you have already told her just leave it, and whenever they mention fish tank just ignore them. And when a fish dies say "well I did tell you I wasn't saying it for no reason".

Or you could show her a factfile of the fish from numerous websites and say "this many people can't be wrong, and the people who do these factfiles are experienced fishkeepers and know best"

Pets at home staff make you cry. I think a load of experienced fish keepers should go in and apply for a job and sort the place out!!!

My local P@H is looking for staff, but they want full-time. I'd definitely apply if they would consider taking me on the days I don't have university stuff! I'm not exactly experienced, but I'm not a moron and I know enough about fish to stop a travesty like a RTBS in 28 litres happening!

I might just leave it. Sucks that I have to give the rtbs up though. Next time she tells me a fish died I'll make a pointed comment about water-changes, bullying, water quality or whatever else is a likely cause.

Maybe when she sees how happy my fish are she might think that it's worth investing a little more time and sense into the hobby.
 
I know how you feel, I posted a while back on someone I know that has a 10l tank that started with 2 fancy (chinese?) goldfish, and has now added a shrimp and a bn. One of the goldfish recently got bad rips in the fins, and I asked her when they last changed the water and they said only had changed it 3 times since christmas cos the water looked so clear :|

Asked how much dechlor they used and the reply was...eh? They went to lfs and bought melafix and sorted the prob out. I went over today and the tank was havng its water change after the course of melafix, and I tried to drop a hint and said I would buy a bottle of dechlor, but no. Its all fine, none of the fish have died, and its ok with just salt in there (?) and the undergravel filter theyve just bought means less water changes need to be done :/ did try to say that the fin rips were due to the water conditions but to no avail.

I commented about one of the goldies getting rather large and the reply was yes when it gets too big am going to take back to the lfs and swap it.....

Asked if they fed some sort of super food because was so massive (joke), and found they are fed 1 block of frozen blood worms 2ce a day - mine is a busy community tank and they get a 2... also the fattest one has swim bladder which is why its fed blood worm - good thing to do, but still overfeeding

Its hard, but some people will not take the good advice you are giving them, its awful, but you have to just leave them too it to make their own mistakes :(
 
My friend is just like that. Makes me want to cry when I think about giving Shark back to her. Half tempted to 'pretend' it died and keep it, but she'll never listen to me again if one of her fish dies in my care!

She hardly ever does water tests and I've not even ventured onto the subject of water changes. Last time the fish looked ill she did a test and the nitrites were really, really high! Ran to P@H for help (clearly she hasn't heard of cycling or doing water changes to lower levels) and apparently they 'sorted' the problem, but she's not done any tests since then.

*sigh*
 
I really dont think id want to be friends with anyone who deliberatly ignored advice against being cruel and thought so little of their pets. If a dog were being kept cramped up in unsuitable conditions we would all be outraged , but because its only fish somehow people think anything is acceptable. It makes me very sad..... :(
 
I'm keeping the shark, and she's looking for bigger tanks for the syno and her community. Managed to get her excited about a 200 litre set-up on Ebay. Woop!

The kid is getting a betta, and I've spent the last few days getting my friend up to speed on fighter care. *crosses fingers*

I've named the shark Sandalphin, but she'll always be Shark to me.
 
fingers crossed it works out!

so glad the only friend I have that keeps fish also does so in a sensible way - ie. large tank for goldfish and cleans/tests regularly.
 
That is good news! Point her towards cheap bunches of live plants, there are no excuses for poor coverage!
 
As I said in another thread a few weeks ago, I'm been looking after a goldfish for someone who had it in a filthy small glass bowl from the 1970's bowl and went away for 6 weeks. He's been in my daughter's tank and got on great with her goldfish which is much bigger. Now the lady's returned from holiday and hasn't even mentioned the fish. :rolleyes: My wife brought them from the airport and has spoken on the phone but she doesn't seem interested. So if she doesn't ask me to take it back then I'll just keep it.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top