I Most Definitely Messed Up

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

To bring some reality into this...nitrite is obviously the only concern here, the others look OK. Ammonia is missing though. But to the nitrite, at 10 ppm there would not be one fish alive. At even 1.0 ppm, fish would be in extreme distress at the surface and likely dead.

I do not suggest ignoring this, but it is definitely suspect.

@TwoTankAmin is much more knowledgeable than I am when it comes to nitrite/nitrate, he may have some advice.

Edit: changed nitrate to nitrite, slip up, sorry.

There will always be those who tell you about all the wonderful products (treatments, filter media, emergency meds etc etc) you must have. Truth is once you are set up it costs hardly anything. I have 4 thriving tanks and it is years since I tested the water. All my test solutions have expired. They all have nothing but sponge in the filters and plenty of plants. The only thing I won't compromise on is regular water changes. In my case I do 75% per week
I was on another forum years ago and the people there legit made me stop fish keeping. No matter what I wasn't doing anything right. Ya'll have been super nice and supportive here.
I'm hoping with the large water changes I'll be doing daily for who knows how long at this point that I'll get this under control. Like I said, I thought my tank was cycled and apparently I guessed wrong and the poor fish are suffering (hubby told me another one died).

To bring some reality into this...nitrite is obviously the onlly concern here, the others look OK. Ammonia is missing though. But to the nitrate, at 10 ppm there would not be one fish alive. At even 1.0 ppm, fish would be in extreme distress at the surface and likely dead.

I do not suggest ignoring this, but it is definitely suspect.

@TwoTankAmin is much more knowledgeable than I am when it comes to nitrite/nitrate, he may have some advice.
I'm currently planning on doing big water changes to get everything under control.

The first thing I would suggest that you do is to read the two articles here on Rescuing a Fish In Cycle Gone Wild. Ince you have come back with questions. I have old eyes and less patience so it would help to see the numbers not the test strips if possible.

Once you have read the two articles, if you have questions I will try to help.
First read: https://www.fishforums.net/threads/rescuing-a-fish-in-cycle-gone-wild-part-i.433769/
Then read: https://www.fishforums.net/threads/rescuing-a-fish-in-cycle-gone-wild-part-il.433778/

Generally I tell people who have a budget is you need to have:

Ammonia test
Nitrite Test
pH test

You can ususally get the store to test your GH and KH.

The nitrate test is the least accurate and the least needed.

The numbers I need to see are for your tap and for the tank. Bear in mind that the cycle is a process, So recodr the date and the numbers every time you test. Record anything you add to the tank besides water. Use as few products as possible.

Ditch the Stress coat. Do not overdose dechlor. If ppssible use one that does not detoxify ammonia.

It would also help you to read the fishless cycling article here as it will give you an idea of how a cycle without fish progesses.

The first thing I would suggest that you do is to read the two articles here on Rescuing a Fish In Cycle Gone Wild. Ince you have come back with questions. I have old eyes and less patience so it would help to see the numbers not the test strips if possible.

Once you have read the two articles, if you have questions I will try to help.
First read: https://www.fishforums.net/threads/rescuing-a-fish-in-cycle-gone-wild-part-i.433769/
Then read: https://www.fishforums.net/threads/rescuing-a-fish-in-cycle-gone-wild-part-il.433778/

Generally I tell people who have a budget is you need to have:

Ammonia test
Nitrite Test
pH test

You can ususally get the store to test your GH and KH.

The nitrate test is the least accurate and the least needed.

The numbers I need to see are for your tap and for the tank. Bear in mind that the cycle is a process, So recodr the date and the numbers every time you test. Record anything you add to the tank besides water. Use as few products as possible.

Ditch the Stress coat. Do not overdose dechlor. If ppssible use one that does not detoxify ammonia.

It would also help you to read the fishless cycling article here as it will give you an idea of how a cycle without fish progesses.
Read articles. Pretty decent information.

I've seen bio orbs for betta fish at PetCo, they claim to have beneficial bacteria. Would those be something I could use to add more bacteria to the tank?

I did not realize I didn't have an ammonia test. I will pick one up on Friday when I get paid. I also plan to pick up a better test kit at PetCo as they get their deliveries on Fridays apparently.

I plan to do big water changes daily until I can at least get the nitrites and nitrates down to a more reasonable level.

Also, I have well water. So no chlorine or chloramine in my water.

UPDATE
Did another big water change tonight. If my math is right (which it normally is) I did a 22 to 24 gallon water change. Which pretty much was change 11/12 gallons, fill tank back up and them did another 11/12 gallons or so.

This is the first time the first two squares haven't been bright neon pink. So hopefully I've got this under control with another big water change tomorrow.

Here are my strips from the water change tonight:

First strip: before water change
Second strip: after first 11/12 gallon water change
Third strip: after second 11/12 gallon water change.

1000001965.jpg

1000001966.jpg

1000001967.jpg

Did you miss the part in the 2nd Rescue article about not doing water changes for nitrite but rather using the chloride in salt to keep the fish safe with the nitrite present?

Cycling with fish present is a tug of war. You want it to be done ASAP. However, water changes slow a cycle. So they should only be done when absolutely necessary. The 2nd article explained how to know when to change water for ammonia and when not to do so. It also explained why not to do them for nitrite at all unless it rached over 16 ppm on an API kit. Seeing that involves diluted testing. That is the level when it will stall the cycle itself.

It also explained that it take about 24 -48 hours for nitrite to exit a fish once inside and where it is doing harm. As long as there is nitrite in the water it is entering the fish. The chloride in the salt blocks the itrite from entering. This keeps the fish safe.

By allowing the nitrite to bild and remain beecause you block it, the nitrite bacteria will reproduce faster and the nitrite will be handled by the cycle a lt faster. Another way to say this is doing water changes for nitrite does more harm than not doing them and adding the proper amopunt of salt.

@Ichthys
The reason not to detox the ammonia during a cycle is that the bacteria prefer ammonia, aka NH3. Changing it to NH4 (or other form) slows the cycle because the bacteria cannot use it as efficiently. This is why the cycle appears to stall as the pH drops below 7.0.

@Ichthys
The reason not to detox the ammonia during a cycle is that the bacteria prefer ammonia, aka NH3. Changing it to NH4 (or other form) slows the cycle because the bacteria cannot use it as efficiently. This is why the cycle appears to stall as the pH drops below 7.0.
I doubt that’s the reason their metabolism stops (at a pH somewhere below 6). A lot of aquarist these days routinely use detoxifying dechlorinators that have no noticeable effects on bacterial function. Do you have a link to a paper proving or supporting it?

Did you miss the part in the 2nd Rescue article about not doing water changes for nitrite but rather using the chloride in salt to keep the fish safe with the nitrite present?

Cycling with fish present is a tug of war. You want it to be done ASAP. However, water changes slow a cycle. So they should only be done when absolutely necessary. The 2nd article explained how to know when to change water for ammonia and when not to do so. It also explained why not to do them for nitrite at all unless it rached over 16 ppm on an API kit. Seeing that involves diluted testing. That is the level when it will stall the cycle itself.

It also explained that it take about 24 -48 hours for nitrite to exit a fish once inside and where it is doing harm. As long as there is nitrite in the water it is entering the fish. The chloride in the salt blocks the itrite from entering. This keeps the fish safe.

By allowing the nitrite to bild and remain beecause you block it, the nitrite bacteria will reproduce faster and the nitrite will be handled by the cycle a lt faster. Another way to say this is doing water changes for nitrite does more harm than not doing them and adding the proper amopunt of salt.

@Ichthys
Okay, I 1000% missed it saying to add it. I read it but it didn't compute in my head not to do a water change. That is my bad.
I'm also doing the water changes until I get can better testing strips on Friday. The ones I have now are just what PetCo had at the time.
I was also just concerned that the numbers were so high with everything that getting those down to a more tolerable level was my goal. Losing three or four fish at a time sucked. At this point I haven't lost a single fish with the big water changes.
Also, will the salt affect the plants I have in the tank?

Okay, I meant to ask this earlier, but I've seen these Betta Orbs that are supposedly filled/covered in beneficial bacteria for sale at PetCo. Would getting some of these and putting them in the tank help with the cycle I'm going through at the moment? Or are they just a gimmick for people to buy?

I'm also just nervous putting salt in the tank. Everything is screaming at me to not do that. I know it's suppose to help, but somehow I feel like even if I followed it perfectly I would somehow kill my fish and plants in the tank. Like I know I have to dilute it in water before pouring that water into the tank, but still, scary.

Okay, I meant to ask this earlier, but I've seen these Betta Orbs that are supposedly filled/covered in beneficial bacteria for sale at PetCo. Would getting some of these and putting them in the tank help with the cycle I'm going through at the moment? Or are they just a gimmick for people to buy?

I'm also just nervous putting salt in the tank. Everything is screaming at me to not do that. I know it's suppose to help, but somehow I feel like even if I followed it perfectly I would somehow kill my fish and plants in the tank. Like I know I have to dilute it in water before pouring that water into the tank, but still, scary.
Gimmick, and waste of $...lots of stuff like that in this hobby

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back