I have a small turtle

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Angel Lady

Pet of the Month Leader
Reaction score
I dont know if I am in the right place or not but here goes. He eats all the time or any we put something in the tank with him. I dont if he ever gets full or not. Is he suppose to stay in water all the time?? He is about the size of a half of dollar piece. What I want to know will he get any bigger? He is green in color. looks like his head is striped with white marks. He likes to keep his head out of the water and he seems to stay hungry all the time. Are they anything I should be doing for him special???

He is probably a red eared slider, needs somewere to get out and sun himself, either in a UV lamp or natural light.

Hi

When i had myrtle i used turtleforum.com a lot, has all the info you could ever need!!

Cheers
Shell

Thanks Shell I am starting to wonder if I can take good care of the turtle. I was sorta left this turtle and a small tank with no ideal on how to do anything for it. All I know to do it feed it at the time. I am probally going to give it to someone who can care for it the proper way. I wont keep nothing that I cant give the right care for. Does that make any sence. :dunno:

Sure it does, but don't turn away on the experience that you can learn a new hobby just b/c you dont know anything about it now. :p We all learn in due time. But ofcourse it will cost since you do need a tank upgrade. My b/f kept 2 of them and man one got pretty big. He fed them large minnows from the bait shop and eventually had to release them to a friends pond.

The largest tank that I have is a 20 gallon. And I dont know where to start getting it ready for a turtle. I will give it a try if u guys help me out and tell me what I need to buy. I have thought about it all day. And the poor little thing is over 6 months old and hasnt growed any that I can see from the day that woman first got it. So that led me to believe it wasnt give the proper care. Are they any chance that I can still give this turtle a chance I will try. And thanks you all for helping me out.

I have had turtles for over five years. Make sure thst the water level is at least the loength of his shell(hopfully 2 or 3). Make sure he has a rorock or something to climb up and sun himself on. Have light shining on that spot. You do not need gravel( but i think it makes the tank look natural). But a few aquatic plants tin the tank. It can survive on commercial food but add a couple feeder guppies too. add a filter and and your ready to go.
8)

yeah, basking light, deep enough water so that if he gets flipped over he has no trouble getting back the right way (cause if he cant get flipped back over he'll drown) get a stack of slate so you can build a spot he can get out of the water and have the basking light shining on the rock), a decent filter (we use the whisper filters where i work), a calcium block or 2 depending on the size of the tank,

and ALWAYS wash your hands after handling it and if you have kids make sure you make it clear to them to wash their hands after cause turtles are known to carry salmonella

you can feed it a variety of stuff, pellets, fish, frozen foods.. feel it out, other then that its pretty much like keeping a fish tank, change the water once a week and away you go.

my turtle when he was basking would stick all his legs out (like he was trying to fly) it was rather interesting lol

and later down the line if you can swing it get a custom made tank (square not rectangular)

forgot to add from your description it sounds like you have a painted turtle

Painted20turtles.jpg

not really green but they have the white stripe on their head :dunno:

Most reactions

Back