I got some tail smudge micefish!!!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

GaryE

Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
I was nerding my way through scientific papers about Corydoras catfish yesterday, after I bought myself a group of Corydoras similis. In the store, they were "Tail smudge Corys", which was not as cool as "Violet Corys", another trade name. But in a Chinese paper, it was confidently proclaimed that they were micefish, like all Corydoras, Brochis and Scleromystax. It's the whiskers and the cuteness, obviously.

I like that. It beats ratfish, for marketing purposes. The panda mousefish is a thought.

Given that China is where the hobby is growing fastest, and we've already got pigeon blood this and that (I have never seen a pigeon bleed), and some very odd to English ears Betta names, I'm wondering how long it'll be before Chinese popular names for other fish kick in. When I was a kid, Corys were "tanks", a doomed name given that keeping tanks in tanks was confusing.

C.arcuatus is called Beetle Corys here (resembling a VW Beetle)

Chinese have to make up the weirdest names cause they crossbreed anything alive and linebreed any fish that look different to the normal ones. Baloon this, longfin that.

Mice Fish. The way they swim and scurry about as well as the general shape. That little thing they do with their eyes sometimes and their whiskers.
Corydoras , from henceforth onward you shall be called with the name Mousefish . A group shall be known as Micefish.
So it is said , so let it be written , so let it be done.
MOUSEFISH !

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back