I don't really want to put Gouramis with Angels...

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Anonymous Fox

Fish Addict
Reaction score
my mom and I have been talking about stocking our 47 gallon tall tank. she said she wanted to add:

2 Angelfish

2 Gourami

1 BN Pleco

More Tetras

I really don't like the idea of Angels and Gourami together... my idea:

1 BN Pleco

5 more Silvertip Tetras and 2 more Bloodfins

2 Kuhli loaches

5 Guppies

2 snails

what do you think, can angels live with gouramis? can gouramis live with angels? what about the pleco?

You're right with the angels and gourami. They're not meant to be kept together.

Tetras and kuhli loaches are schooling fish. Tetras like to be in groups of 8 or more, and kuhli loaches should be kept in a group of 5 as a minimum.

What snails were you thinking of getting?

Plecos are fine with basically anything except super nippy fish like barbs or big cichlids that'll take chunks from their tailfin. Be warned, however, that all plecos have a monstrous appetite and may eat small fish like fry. Not out of territorial or aggressive behaviours, just because they're greedy and may eat whatever fits in their mouths.

Gourami tend to be quite passive, docile fish and shouldn't be kept with aggressive, fast-moving fish that may startle them.

Angelfish are cichlids, and - like all cichlids - can be quite aggressive even towards their own kind. Having only two leaves you vulnerable to one being picked on by the other. This bullying can be severe, to the point where one may die. I believe they're a shoaling fish, and should be in larger groups anyway. They also establish their own hierarchies, so if you were ever to get more angelfish and add them to a pre-existing hierarchy, there would probably be trouble.

Personally I wouldn't ever keep angelfish at all. They're aggressive; weird looking; aren't at all attractive fish and aren't compatible with a lot of other fish. They can outright kill smaller shrimp, or severely damage larger ones to the point where it will eventually prove fatal anyway.

I would advise your mother to do some proper research before diving into fish head-first like that. Never ends well otherwise.

There are so many almost-inevitable problems with that list that it should be abandoned and different fish considered. I really doubt your mother wants to watch fish tearing one another to shreds, and that is a very real possibility if not even probability.

You're right with the angels and gourami. They're not meant to be kept together.
yay...
Tetras and kuhli loaches are schooling fish. Tetras like to be in groups of 8 or more, and kuhli loaches should be kept in a group of 5 as a minimum.
ok! ty
What snails were you thinking of getting?
Mystery Snails
Plecos are fine with basically anything except super nippy fish like barbs or big cichlids that'll take chunks from their tailfin. Be warned, however, that all plecos have a monstrous appetite and may eat small fish like fry. Not out of territorial or aggressive behaviours, just because they're greedy and may eat whatever fits in their mouths.
hehe, like me!
Gourami tend to be quite passive, docile fish and shouldn't be kept with aggressive, fast-moving fish that may startle them.
got it
Angelfish are cichlids, and - like all cichlids - can be quite aggressive even towards their own kind. Having only two leaves you vulnerable to one being picked on by the other. This bullying can be severe, to the point where one may die. I believe they're a shoaling fish, and should be in larger groups anyway. They also establish their own hierarchies, so if you were ever to get more angelfish and add them to a pre-existing hierarchy, there would probably be trouble.
yep!
Personally I wouldn't ever keep angelfish at all. They're aggressive; weird looking; aren't at all attractive fish and aren't compatible with a lot of other fish. They can outright kill smaller shrimp, or severely damage larger ones to the point where it will eventually prove fatal anyway.
well, i think there pretty :fish:
I would advise your mother to do some proper research before diving into fish head-first like that. Never ends well otherwise.

There are so many almost-inevitable problems with that list that it should be abandoned and different fish considered. I really doubt your mother wants to watch fish tearing one another to shreds, and that is a very real possibility if not even probability.
....... only ppl that work at pet mills bc they LIKE it want that...

What are the dimensions of your tank? I believe yours is a tall hexagon? Do you know your GH?

Personally I wouldn't ever keep angelfish at all. They're aggressive; weird looking; aren't at all attractive fish and aren't compatible with a lot of other fish
Just cause you don’t like them doesn’t mean You have to call them names :rofl:

Can you tell me with a clear conscience that angelfish are the prettiest fish around? ?
Well, not the prettiest, but I do think their unique shape and variety of colors draws in a lot of fish keepers, I have heard they have enormous personalities, and the way they move is graceful and intriguing in my honest opinion. Some of them though do look awfully silly.

Well, not the prettiest, but I do think their unique shape and variety of colors draws in a lot of fish keepers, I have heard they have enormous personalities, and the way they move is graceful and intriguing in my honest opinion. Some of them though do look awfully silly.
Pearlscale specifically... Eugh. Why would you want your fish to look like a tiled roof? I must admit I do like the way some angels look. The ones with calico patterns or pure black would have to be my fav.

Hey, this isn't about plecos! Admittedly, they're mega ugly. Horrible beady little eyes that watch you sleep and huge mouths that look like they could swallow your arm whole. But I love em!
*shudders ?

Most reactions

trending

Back