huge platy, won't dispell fry

fur_ducky

Reaction score
:( Has anyone ever seen or had, or heard of a platy that won't dispell her babies, this poor platy looks like either her fry are huge and she has let go of them or is repeatedly pregnant. It's getting really gross her under side is huge at least twice what it should be. I can see the darkness of the fry inside her. But she is eating well and active, I'm thinking she's going to explode in the tank, that would be gross, this is the only time I've seen this. There are probably 150 platies in there, their very active little fish. Any answers give a shout. Thanks!

i am very curious to see what other people have to say about this as well since, my platy is having the same problem!

Well if u say she looks double her sized then My theory is that shes pregnet and maybe has a TUMOR :eek: or dropsy :eek: Im not sure But it will be helpful to put some pics. -_-

Don't think it's a tumor or dropsy dude. fur_ducky says its ACTIVE.
Ok, has it been more than a month that your platy has been pregnant? If it is, there are few reasons, one - the temperature, low temperatures make the gestation period longer. second - age, the older the platy, the faster and larger the drop will be.
There are alot of other reason why it's not giving birth but this is what i can think of at the moment.

-Chewy-

my Platy has the same problem she has a huge belly I thought she was about to deliver and I put her in breeder net she never delivered, so I removed her fromthe net. it has been nearly 2 months she is active and eating well. you can see little black spots on the underside of her belly like there are babies. But I am afraid it she don't deliver soon she is going to bust. Anyhting that will be helpful to my poor pregnant fishy is worth a try so I am open to suggestions

Most reactions

Back