How To Get My Shrimp Out Of Hiding?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

rob_cool1

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I bought a blue armoured shrimp a few weeks ago and it was all good for the first week and he was walking around etc. But I moved everything around to make the tank look nicer and now he's burrowed his way under one of the pieces of bogwood and won't come out. The only way to see him is to shine a light into the hole :(
shall I get him to move out of it and fill it back up? I don't even know how
he gets food as he faces away from the entrance :/ is there anything else I could do?

Cheers
rob :)

He might be stuck! If he was very active before you moved the decor round, I don't see why he should start hiding now... I would lift up the wood to see if he is actually able to get out, maybe he is just getting used to the new layout! Also when he comes out look for any changes in colour or injuries. Best of luck with him. :)

Is it one of the small shrimp, or a crayfish? The small shrimp do best in groups, whereas the crayfish like to hide and will dig a burrow to hide in.

I moved the wood last week to see if he was ok and he swam out and went a bit mad but was back in there half an hour later. I might get him to get out and fill it back up and see what happens :/

It gets to about 6inches (mines about 3 atm) and have them filter pads so aren't aggressive.

Cheers
rob

Most likely its just doing what is natural for that species. Here's some info I found... http://www.crusta-fauna.org/shrimp-index/atya-gabonensis/

ahh i see, thanks for showing me that site, couldn't find much on the shrimp lol.
I'l leave it alone for the moment then, i might add some more wood for extra hiding places, might be scared of the fish, only the plecs can reach him haha

If it's a vampire shrimp, the filter feeder, atya gabonensis, then I've read that they're notorious for hiding. They're nocturnal guys and are shy. They like hidey holes but also with some open space around, and supposedly if you want to see them more you need to decrease the light a bit more - maybe use some floating plants. I read up on them as I was considering having one.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back