How to get food distributed evenly?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Astronomiii

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi, I recently got a new 20 gallon tank, and I ended up putting 2 sword tails that were juveniles/adults, however the other fish were 2 baby honey gouramis, and 4 small pepper corys + a baby rainbow shark that was not even 1.5 inch long yet, the problem is when I feed them, the sword tails swoop in and take all the food, i see their stomach is bulging while the corys are at the bottom with no food, any solutions?

Perhaps you could try using long tweezers, e.g. aquascaping ones, to take food lower in the tank? Or distract the sword tails with food one end of the tank while feeding the others at the opposite end.

Cory do not feed from the surface. They need sinking pellets so they can eat at the bottom of the tank, not just algae wafers but a protein based pellet like shrimp pellets.
The gourami need floating plants so that they feel secure at the surface.

Perhaps you could try using long tweezers, e.g. aquascaping ones, to take food lower in the tank? Or distract the sword tails with food one end of the tank while feeding the others at the opposite end.
I also second this, I have the same problem especially when feeding bloodworm, I usually drag some with the long tweezers into other areas of the tank. And for my rummy nose tetras I usually make sure to sink their food straight away, if I let it float other fish are eating it in no time. You might want to try just dropping a bit of food at the surface and a lil bit mid way in the water (just pinch the food and pop your hand into the tank).

Just add some "sinking" pellets for bottom feeders.

Also add food in different places of the tank to prevent the Swordtails from eating all the food at one go.
Sometimes, you may have to add more food.

If you have food that floats and you want them to sink, you can pour the food into a small cup of water. Then pour the cup of water directly into the tank. Spread out the food in a few places.

Last edited:
Hi Astro, 1 mm pellets sink fast, and with flake just put a very small pinch straight into the water.

Rub your flake food between your fingers until it is a fine powder then put it in the filter flow. The flake food will be distributed throughout the tank.

Rub your flake food between your fingers until it is a fine powder then put it in the filter flow. The flake food will be distributed throughout the tank.
Out of curiosity - would that not just create a mess and / or fly straight through the filter? I never tried that because of those reasons but I do have rummy nose tetras that could benefit from that

Out of curiosity - would that not just create a mess and / or fly straight through the filter? I never tried that because of those reasons but I do have rummy nose tetras that could benefit from that
You put it in the out flow from the filter, it will also show you how effective your filter is as you can see the water flow.

i mean, I have a seachem tidal 35, where the intake is at the top, so idk

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back