How To Feed My Fish While On Holiday For Two Weeks?!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Lizi_angelfish

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi all!

I'm off to the parent's for Christmas so need to somehow feed my 6 endlers and 4 guppies (and zebra snail). Unfortunately no one is around to come in and feed them, like neighbours or friends so I was hoping someone might be able to recommend a good 'slow release feeder'. I've not heard great things about some of them so need some help!

Also as I'm away for two weeks... What about water changes? I usually do 20-25% per week, so do I do a bigger one before/after?

Thanks for the advice!

well, if you do not have anybody to feed them, your only options are an automatic/timer feeder, or a holiday feeding block, personally i would go with the feeding block, i have never had good experiences with timers

i would do a gravel cleaning and 50% change the day before you leave

Do you have live plants in the tank, OP?

If you do, you'd be far, far better off just leaving them. Both automatic feeders and holiday blocks can cause poor water quality at the very worst time (ie, when you're not there to do anything about it).

Do a bigger than usual water change (say 50 or 60%, depending on the size of the tank and how heavily stocked it is) and a filter clean a couple of days before you go away; not the day before, in case you experience any issues.

I have got a hygrophila corymbosa, java moss and an amazon sword. And you reckon that the fish will be ok without food for that amount of time?

It's on the upper limit of acceptable time to feed them, but it's doable.

Or you could get an automatic feeder and set it up to feed them a couple of times a week; no more. Most of them use revolving slots, so just put food in one or two of them.

Ok thanks... The automated feeders are probably more expensive that it would be for me to drive back here and feed them myself! Thanks so much for the help, as always

If you can drive back and feed them once then that would be ideal. Feed before you go......then at the end of the first week then as soon as you return - perfect!

Glad I have seen this. I will be away for a week and was contemplating a pyramid feed block but didnt want to risk the water quality being diminished. Have someone staying in the house but don't trust that they won't over feed. I will either get the to feed once midweek or not at all in that case.

Glad I have seen this. I will be away for a week and was contemplating a pyramid feed block but didnt want to risk the water quality being diminished. Have someone staying in the house but don't trust that they won't over feed. I will either get the to feed once midweek or not at all in that case.

The ideal thing to do in that situation is to prepare portions in bags or small tubs and tell them to only feed what's in there.

Have someone staying in the house but don't trust that they won't over feed.

what i do in this situation is use measuring spoons, and be specific with the instructions....

example....one tablespoon of flakes....2 tablespoons of pellets.....etc etc

this way there is no margin of error

That's a good idea actually. He's my brother in law and has owned fish in the past, however, everyone likes to watch them feed, so don't want to take any chances!

Most reactions

trending

Back