how to dissolve salt

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Salt Freak

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Me and my friend are setting up a 20 gallon salt water with bio wheel and I was wondering on how you dissolve the salt into the water?

Make sure you are not using table salt! :lol:

To disolve the salt, what I do is use a bucket pour the water in then the salt and mix, just move the water violently for a while untill all the salt disolves. Any bits of salt will disolved after a few days in the aquarium. Make sure you let the aquarium moving around by it self with the salt water in it so it mixes properly. Dont add anything for a few days.

You could always mix it in the aquarium at once if theres nothin but the water and salt.

Use a 5 gallon bucket with a powerhead in it to help it mix. Leave it for a few hours. Make sure you mix it with the water as close to 80 as you can get it. I have a rubbermaid tub i got at walmart. I have a dedicated heater and PH for it. I usually mix the salt a day before i do a WC. If you need more water than 5 gal, you could use a large plastic trashcan. Be sure you do not dump undissolved salt into the tank, it can give the fish and/or inverts burns leading to death.

Also ditch the biowheel, it will do more harm than good.

Me and my friend are setting up a 20 gallon salt water with bio wheel and I was wondering on how you dissolve the salt into the water?

You will need to do a lot more research than that to start a marine tank. with freshwater, you can get away with sticking a heater and filter in and waiting a week but with marine, there is a lot more to be taken into account. its not that much harder, just you need to know more about what your doing.

ste :)

i agree with ste2k3, u should do more research

but when it comes to salt i suggest Oceanic's new natural sea salt, it dissolves very quickly

Well, just as a warning and hopes for you to get into the hobby, SW tanks are a ... rough start. I was in and out of the pet shop every other day asking questions, and now Ive founbd myself here asking anyone to help me out a lot. You can always ask, but like with me, I'd only be able to tell you what others have suggested to me. I can tell you my problems, since my tank is only 3 months old, and the hassles Ive been fighting with, so when you're goin to get the hardware (the expensive part) you know what youre getting yourself into.

Tim

aloof hows that RBTA doing in your tank? I've read and also heard many accounts of them dieing when introduced to newer tanks.

ste2k3 said:

You will need to do a lot more research than that to start a marine tank. with freshwater, you can get away with sticking a heater and filter in and waiting a week but with marine, there is a lot more to be taken into account. its not that much harder, just you need to know more about what your doing.

ste :)
People here try to make it sound So easy! "Just do whatever you want!" Sure you'll keep something alive for a few weeks or a month but... There's a book called "Responsible Reefkeeping" that is almost a must have. THese are very delicate creatures, and with the "green groups" barking at us left and right, without responsible reefkeepers, I don't know how long they will let us harvest these magnificant creatures to let them die in our tanks. A pretty bleak outlook(maybe a bit of scare-tactic ;) ), just trying to open some eyes :)

Good point. Coral husbandry is very important if you plan to keep a SW reef. I definately suggest reading. I read and researched for over a year before starting a 10 GAL. Imagine how much more i have to learn for a 100 gal.

One more thing, you might want to start with a bigger tank like a 55 or 75 gallon. It will be more expensive and larger but it will be much easier to handle, not to deep for lighting troubles and enough serface area for a good gas exchange. Just to help you a little I'm starting a slatwater tank and all the big equipment I'm getting (minus test kits, salt etc.) is:

75 gallon aquarium (obviously) :D
200 watt 10000k MH lighting
ASM G-1X Protein skimmer
250 watt ebo-jagar heater
HOB filter
3 Maxijet 1200 powerheads
1 Thermometer
1 heater
1 chiller

Sorry I was a little specific ;). Do you see how much more equipment you need than a biowheel. But don't worry, starting saltwater is tough, believe me I know, I'm still starting (don't have my tank yet or anything).

Good Luck! :D

P.S. Newbies rock! :D

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back