How to cycling a tank?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Barry Tetra

Fish Aficionado
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
ive never cycling a tank since i started my tanks 3 years ago, the fish stores in my country newer say anything about cycling too they just say to wash a tank regularly , i have gravel in every tanks without plant . How to cycling a tank? And what is that bacteria thing?

In a cycled fish tank there are two colonies of bacteria. The first type 'eats' the ammonia which is fish waste. They turn it into nitrite. The second type of bacteria 'eat' nitrite and turn it into nitrate. Both ammonia and nitrite are poisonous to fish, the levels must be kept at zero. Nitrate is as poisonous as the other two but it must be kept below 20 ppm by water changes.
Cycling is the process of growing these bacteria. From starting a brand new tank it takes several weeks to grow enough bacteria to support a tankful of fish. The process can be speeded up by using filter media from a tank that has been running for more than 6 months, or by adding one of the 'bacteria in a bottle' products.

There are two ways to cycle a tank - before fish are bought by adding ammonia from a bottle to get the bacteria to grow, then get fish when they have grown, this is called fishless cycling. Or by adding a few fish straight away, doing water changes every time ammonia or nitrite show at more than zero.

Once the ammonia and nitrite levels stay at zero, water changes of at least 50% every week need to be done to remove the nitrate which builds up, and all the other things excreted by fish which we can't test for.

is plant necessary to the cycle? And what bacteria bottle brand should i buy?

Plants are not necessary but do help. This is because plants use ammonia as fertiliser and they don't turn it into nitrite. It is possible to do what is called a silent cycle which is where you put a lot of live plants in the tank, wait until you are sure the plants are thriving, then add fish a few at a time. You do need a good number of plants, not just one or two, and floating plants are particularly good for using ammonia.

The two most highly recommended bottled bacteria brands are Tetra Safe Start and Dr Tim's One and Only if you can get them where you live.

My country dont have them i have to buy it from amazon

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back