How "sweetheart/dyed Parrots/fh Are Made"

June FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

T -- Those pics I posted on page 1 were of her, she's a midas hybrid :)

in reply to synirr's comment about it being genetic, just from looking at the pics you posted you can see that it hasn't been 'snipped' as the tail is actaully still there, but only just, as the dorsal fin and the anal fin close in on it very closely. those fins are white and the tail is red/orange. there is no gap between the larger fins, which would imply the cutting of the fins.

As this is obviously IMO, a genetic defect, in your sample, does it effect its swimming capabilities? as you see with many of the freak, I mean Fancy goldfish. As their genetic defects, such as the lion head with no dorsal, and the fan tails with the arched body effecting the swim bladders effecting they way the swim.
I'm a fan of thefan tail myself, but looking at the arch in the back and the swimming problems they have I would think it would better to breed a strain without the arch, would be much nicer :)

so back to the main point, do they experience any trouble with swimming through the genetic deformation?

Goldfish and cichlids swim very differently. I'm not doubting it affects the way they swim, but it's not as bad in cichlids. Tthen again, I think ALL goldfish swim weird.

in reply to synirr's comment about it being genetic, just from looking at the pics you posted you can see that it hasn't been 'snipped' as the tail is actaully still there, but only just, as the dorsal fin and the anal fin close in on it very closely. those fins are white and the tail is red/orange. there is no gap between the larger fins, which would imply the cutting of the fins.

As this is obviously IMO, a genetic defect, in your sample, does it effect its swimming capabilities? as you see with many of the freak, I mean Fancy goldfish. As their genetic defects, such as the lion head with no dorsal, and the fan tails with the arched body effecting the swim bladders effecting they way the swim.
I'm a fan of thefan tail myself, but looking at the arch in the back and the swimming problems they have I would think it would better to breed a strain without the arch, would be much nicer :)

so back to the main point, do they experience any trouble with swimming through the genetic deformation?
Are you saying my fish's tail is still there? Because it isn't... at all... the orange is spotting on her dorsal and anal fins. :p
She swims great, actually. The tail in these types of fish is mainly used for steering and not propulsion. She uses her pectoral fins to get around when swimming slow, and her body muscles for a quick burst of speed. Her dorsal and anal fins move back and forth to keep her balance the way a tail normally would, so aside from that her swimming appears normal (she doesn't look gimpy or anything, lol) :)

Most reactions

Back