How planted is too planted?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

squidneh

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have my first 2 (properly) planted tanks still in very early stages - a 20 gallon long and a 3 gallon cube. The 20 gallon is home to 12 Harlequin Rasboras and 4 otoclinus, and the 3 gallon cube is home to 1 male betta. My question is, how much floor/swimming space is too much to take up with plants? I know plants are beneficial to both the water quality and happiness of the fish, but I also don't want to overcrowd the tank...

What percentage of the tank can be planted without compromising the space too much? I think I may have ordered too many plants lol.

My 20 gallon has tall plants along the back wall (Moneywort, Jungle val, Cabomba), and rock structures/hiding place along with some javafern. I have some Hornwort coming, which will be floated, and some Ludwigia Repens that I'd like to add to the corners/midground. I'm trying to keep the center as open as possible for open swimming space. The left corner/short side of the tank is the most heavily planted space.

My 3 gallon (10in x 10in x 10.5in) tank has a scuba helmet hiding decoration that is about 3x3 inches (this is my fiance's fish, technically, and she insisted on that particular decoration even though it does take up space. The fish does use it, at least). In this tank I have a good sized Anubias Nana, a mid sized Java Fern, and a few stems of moneywort. I was planning to put some of the Hornwort I have coming into this tank as well, and maybe some of the Ludwigia Repens if there is room. Currently the back wall is taken up by the Anubias and the Javafern, and I have the Moneywort stems in the front left corner. The ornament is on the left wall about center, so the middle of the tank and the right front corner are still open space.

Here are some pictures as requested. All of the plants except for the Java Ferns and Anubias were received and planted today, so it looks a little sparse but they will be growing/filling out, and like I said I have more plants coming in.

Attachments

• 20200729_204033.jpg
    20200729_204033.jpg
    208.4 KB · Views: 167
  • 20200729_204057.jpg
    20200729_204057.jpg
    216 KB · Views: 199
I would not add any more plants to the betta's tank, he will like to swim around but if you want a moss ball would be nice. The other tank is alright too, you could add a little more to the sides and rear like some Java Ferns to the right side on the rocks.

This is my 55 gallon tetra tank, I try and leave the front area clear of items so the fish can freely swim but provide them places to hide further to the rear of the tank. I also keep the upper area clear so they have freedom of movement. I just change this tank over so I do plan on adding more plants to the background. The floating plants are salvinia.

Attachments

• GEDC1446.JPG
    GEDC1446.JPG
    348.5 KB · Views: 155
This is my 55 gallon tetra tank, I try and leave the front area clear of items so the fish can freely swim but provide them places to hide further to the rear of the tank. I also keep the upper area clear so they have freedom of movement. I just change this tank over so I do plan on adding more plants to the background. The floating plants are salvinia.

Awesome tank! Yeah that's basically what I'm trying to accomplish as well - free space in the front/center and moderately/heavily plant the other areas

Looks great. Betta would appreciate some floating plants such as frogbit and this will help reduce the light on the anubias too

Instead of real rocks I’ve always preferred plastic or ceramic caves for the very reasons the OP gives: fear of using up valuable swimming space.
The big tank could take a few more plants, the little one is full in my unknowledgeable opinion.

That anubias is a bit of a monster in the betta tank.. could you move it to your bigger tank and then maybe move the fern behind the ornament? The fern should fill out after a while

Hi, I'm jumping on this thread as I just had exactly the same question my plants are growing like crazy. I keep having to thin them out. Is there too much vegetation in here? Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20200730_133957.jpg
    IMG_20200730_133957.jpg
    383.9 KB · Views: 140
That anubias is a bit of a monster in the betta tank.. could you move it to your bigger tank and then maybe move the fern behind the ornament? The fern should fill out after a while

Yeah, I agree it is kind of big for the tank. I just don't really like the look of it so I pawned it off on my fiance's tank :* I will either move it and see if I find a space I like it in in my bigger tank or find it a new home.

Looks great. Betta would appreciate some floating plants such as frogbit and this will help reduce the light on the anubias too

Thanks! I have Hornwort coming sometime this week that will be floating in both tanks. I had duckweed for a while but surprisingly it didn't like either of my tanks.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back