The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Briggan

Fish Crazy
Fish of the Month šŸŒŸ
Reaction score
Hi!
Some of you might know from an earlier thread that I was looking to buy a goldfish, and I have since been caring for a black butterfly, or telescope eye, or whatever you want to call it.
Heā€™s the sweetest goldfish and I really like the idea of keeping multiple, however my tank is only 20 gal. Now, I have read that many people keep more than 2 goldfish in that size tank, which I donā€™t personally believe to be suitable. But what about another fancy goldfish of the same type in a 20 gal? If itā€™s not possible, I understand, just wondering :)
Thanks!

I'm not an expert on goldfish, but I have heard that 20 gallons per goldfish is the minimum. Thay produce a lot of waste so you have to take that into consideration. But, like I said, I am not an expert on goldfish so maybe someone else can tell you more.
Good luck!

If you do a 75% water change weekly and watch the nitrates it is doable. If nitrates go up during the week, youā€™ll need to also do a mid-week w/c of about 50%. Are you willing to do that? Eventually you will have to upgrade to at least a 40G as they grow. Can you do that? If you answer ā€œyesā€ to both of these questions then I say go for it. Goldies are companion fish and do better with a friend. To give you an idea of growth, here is one of my Goldieā€™s that Iā€™ve had for 2 years. She started out about 1 ā€œ long. She is now about 7ā€ long.
image.jpg

Last edited:
If you do a 75% water change weekly and watch the nitrates it is doable. If nitrates go up during the week, youā€™ll need to also do a mid-week w/c of about 50%. Are you willing to do that? Eventually you will have to upgrade to at least a 40G as they grow. Can you do that? If you answer ā€œyesā€ to both of these questions then I say go for it. Goldies are companion fish and do better with a friend. To give you an idea of growth, here is one of my Goldieā€™s that Iā€™ve had for 2 years. She started out about 1 ā€œ long. She is now about 7ā€ long.View attachment 92246
Wow ! Big goldfish are so cool and that one is awesome! I do know one thing for a fact. Goldfish only have the German Shepherd as a rival for pooping prowess. Big water changes often are best.

Most reactions

trending

Back