How long is a beginner a beginner ?

Rob_G

Reaction score
Hi all,

How long is a beginner a beginner ? I guess we never stop learning so we could all be for a long time.

Anyway.....kinda linked to that thought....My tank (see details below) has been set up sinch March this year and i have lost eleven fish so far. The only deaths i have been able to diagnose are 1 cory for swimbladder as it was swimming upside down, one platy after an ich outbreak. (I treated the tank and all the other have been fine though) and my ancistrus which had a very swollen belly 2 weeks before it died.

All the other deaths i have no idea as to why. There were no symtoms other than swimming with their top fins flat against the body and obviously not looking too well before they died. No marks, spots, scratching, discolouration, fungus patches etc etc etc.

The Ammonia, Nitrate and Nitrite are all fine.

My thoughts are that it could be one of the following and would be grateful if anyone could help me out :

1) Stress - due to cleaning filter and gravel too much and moving plants and rocks

2) Some internal parasite that is not visible (the ancistrus?)

3) The water is too hard - my water is v hard indeed - i dont have the reading off hand but 20ppm rings a bell ?

4) Soap or something else getting in the tank from my hands

Can't think what else i could be doing wrong. I can rule out old age as i got all fish from juveniles. I am learning nothing new now and am just watching fish die!!

Thanks,

Rob

Juwel Trigon 190 litre tank (50 gallon approx)
Ammonia = 0, Nitrite = 0, Nitrate = 20ppm

Surviving fish -
3 f swordtails, 1 male
3 f guppies
2 f blue gourami, 1 male
1 m ancistrus
3 f gold barbs, 2 male
5 cory julii

Fish deaths since March -
2 baby ancistrus , 1 adult that grew from baby since march
2 corys
1 platy
4 guppies
3 swordtails

-_- i know how you feel mate.

i watch 3 platies go in the last couple of weeks, and watched them, just starting to look miserable.

one i noticed did get a white mouth and treated the tank with myzaxin.

but this started when i bought 8 neon and i think they brought something in with them.

im hoping my current treatment will sort out my probs, no dodgy looking fish at the mo thank god.

You say your water quality is good now but are you shure it was then? Also, when you medicate a tank keep in mind that the oxygen content goes down so your fish can actualy suffocate. To me it sounds like those neons brought something in like you said. Hard water or wrong pH doesn't usualy kill fish, they get used to it and do fine, it is the fluctuations that cause serious problems. Unfortunately, I know how you feel too... I bought a platy the other day that was ment to have been quarantined and I didn't have any spare tanks so I just put it in my community. Well this one time I didn't quarantine, the platy turned out sick! I lost a pearl gourami, a cory and the platy itself to whatever it was she brought in in a matter of 3 days. Goes to show the importance of quarantine!

It depends on how much you want to learn, you learn something new nearly everyday so you never really stop learning in this hobby, and that what's makes it enjoyable.

When you started your tank back in March did you cycle it using the fish that died?

Because fish are used to cycle a tank it doesn't necessarily mean they will die. None of the fish I have ever cycled a tank with have died due to cycle-related stress or disease (as in one jumped out when it was chased by another fish (yes, I saw this happen - it landed on the floor head-first and actualy died instantly) and others died of extreme old age). I have since stopped cycling with fish - fishless cycling is way better, but I thought I'd mention this just so you don't think a fish may have died because it was used to cycle and don't look further for the actual cause.

It's true that cycling with fish doesn't necessarily mean death to the fish, but it does weaken their immune system and make them more prone to disease. Also, there are some fish that are not suitable for cycling, corys being one of them. If fish are used for cycling, then zebra danios are the best choice - they are one of the hardiest fish there is.

and others died of extreme old age)
How old is extreme old age and what fish (just curious)

just noticed my other ancistrus is looking like its about to die too and it too has a swollen belly. is this a common thing with ancistrus ??? He had grown a lot since i got him and i was very proud of him - the bristles had just started to grow !!

They are one of my favourite fish and I don't want to go out and buy more of them incase they too get this stomach problem and die. What can i do ??

Most reactions

Back