How hardy are rummy nose?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Breakthecycle2

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I had a pretty nice school of black and regular neons and in th elast 30 hours I've lost all but 5. I was thinking of getting some Rummy nose's. Are they pretty hardy? How many should I get? I currenty have 3 cories, and a pair of bolivian and blue rams. My tank is about 7 weeks old and my PH is 7.8. Ammonia/Nitrie are 0.

Most tetras prefer tanks that are 6 months or older. And though Rummy Nose tetras are generally hardy in a mature tank, they won't do well in a very young (even if cycled) tank :/

rummys are harder to take care of than normal fish are. If the water is not perfect they will start to have chronic stress and become ill quickly.

claire

i've been lucky with my rummynoses and i've have them for over a year now. great tankmates with discus. since i pretty much had to do regular water change anyways, the rummys are doing well. i've also used them as basic indicators of water quality. their noses are bright red when the water paramaters are ok.

I can highly recommend harlequin rasboras. They look quite dull in most shop tanks but once settled they really colour up nicely. They also seem to be really hardy, some of mine are over 4 years old and still look nice.

Emma

Thats a lot of fish to lose in a short period of time. You will really need to try and sort out the problem before you get anything else.

They are considered a bit delicate by most sources I have read and your pH may be a wee bit higher than ideal for them.

I've had good luck with my rummynose/fireheads. Purchased 9 about 6 months ago and added to a well established tank. One was lost in the first few weeks, he was the smallest of the lot. The remaining 8 are doing great. As mentioned, the red on their heads is an excellent indicator of water quality. They do a good job of keeping me up on my water changes. If I slack off, they tell me that they aren't happy. :D

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back