How do you dispose of your fish?

There is 3 way to put fish down for people who don't like to use scissors or sharp knife.

1. MS 222 (anesthesia, 10x portion is killing)
2. benzocaine (anesthesia, 10x portion is killing)
3. eugenol (used like aromatheraphy, anesthesia too 10x portion is killing)

Hobbyest here in Finland left request to 'ministry of agriculture' (etc.) about eugenol. And they decided that it is acceptable method to put fish down. There is short report in english too: http://www.cc.jyu.fi/~jpirhon/clove%20oil.htm

1 ml / 2,4 liters water is killing, fish dies quickly. I have used 0,5ml/1,25 liters (small fishes).

Please, don't flush down fishes, don't let another fish to eat them, don't put fish in cold water and into freezer.

Article in finnish: http://www.cc.jyu.fi/~jpirhon/nukutus.htm (you find sources here)

Mr.V In the U.K. most of us cannot get hold of the drugs you mention. So we have to think of how the majority of fishkeepers can destroy fish humanely. The only way the British public at large can get these drugs is through a pharmacy and there is a lot of explaining to do and expensive.

In the U.K. most of us cannot get hold of the drugs you mention

Neither here. MS222 you need prescripton from vet, so do with benzocaine.

Eugenel is not drug and you will find it from your local store like "health food store" if you ask oil of cloves.

I have bottle, that is made in UK :lol: www.aqua-oleum.co.uk (clove bud, Julia Lawless, Aqua Oleum). It is important that oil is 100% "etheric" <- don't sure is that english at all :crazy: (in finnish it is "eteerinen" ="etheric" in english?)

I was told to make a soloution of 2 parts vodka to 6 parts water and put your poorly fish in. It will send him to sleep. quickly and painless for him. I would hate to see them suffer - ie down the loo. Definate no no.

I was told to make a soloution of 2 parts vodka to 6 parts water

Not a good idea. Why? Because alcohol "burns" fish's gills.

Once again:

1. sharp knife
2a. sharp scissors
2b. hammer
3. MS222 (from vet)
4. benzocaine (from vet?)
5. 100% clove oil (from health food store etc.)

Not good (or acceptable) way to put fish down:

- alcohol (for example: burns fish's gills)
- boiling (some fish has jumped out of the pot and not suitable way for big fish, bigger than neontetras)
- freezing (tissues and cells freeze before fish is gone)
- flushing (fish suffer low oxyzen level and can live few days before dying)
- throw away to nearest lake (whole lake can be contaminated)

Clove oil is cheap and good way.

Well,

If the fish died a natural death, and is at least 12" or bigger....................I usually put it down with a little tarter sauce and a cold beer :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

CM

ROFLMAO... This is the funniest thread ive ever seen. Not the fish killing part, but each of your humorous opinions(not an insult).

Im sure a neon tetra could make a nice calafornia roll.

where the heck did you get this from?? this was 7 years ago i think its over and done with lol.

Most reactions

Back