How Can You Tell If Blue Gourami Are Going To Give Birth

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

kooshty-dude

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
i no this is soon but i wont to be ahead of the game if you know what i meen i gto yesterday a pair of blue gourami they wicked and i am wondering how will i know when the female has eggs and how will i know when she is going to release the to be fertilised ? and what is the best thing to do when she drops the eggs
:unsure:

Do a bit of reading on bubble nest builders...that will answer all your questions.

Basically the male will start off by building a bubble nest either at the top of the tank or under leaves which are at the top of the tank!!

He will then coax the female over with his manly moves and treat her to a bit of a "get your eggs in there or I'll beat you" ritual.

When the eggs are released and fertilised the male will scoop them up in his mouth :hyper: nasty I know!!...and he will then put the eggs into his bubble nest.

At this stage your best seperating the female from the male (leaving the male in the tank with the bubble nest (the womans job is done!!)) The male will guard the eggs like there's no tomorrow and will hassle, chase and even kill anything that comes near them.

Once they are hatched I think you should remove the male at this stage (not sure on that point) because he may eat them!!

You remove the male when the fry are free-swimming which is usually a day or two after they hatch (depends on species and conditions). He may well eat them if you don't take him out and you also want to be minimizing the amount of waste in the water - so removing the adult poop machine as soon as possible is adviseable ;)

Try searching this section for gourami breeding. There are many, many threads on the subject.

Most reactions

Back