How Big Do Bichirs Grow?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

-cAtFiSh-

Fish Herder
Reaction score
just out of curiosity how big to bichirs grow? or does it depend on the species?

i was in an lfs today and they had two bichirs, one about 5 inches and a white/yellow colour, the other a little smaller and albino. i didnt think they were available in Australia so i got quite excited when i saw them lol. the assistant in the shop asked if i needed any help with anything and i asked him how big bichirs get 'cause i would like to own one in the very distant future. he said about 20 inches. was he right or telling fibs?

They sound like Senegal Bichirs, (polypterus senegalus) which grow fairly fast to about 12 inches long (bigger in the wild)
Different species reach different sizes, we have an eighteen inch Ornate Bichir (polypterus ornatapinnis) for example.

Species and sizes
maximum known sizes often smaller in captivity
Upper Jaw Species-Upper jaw protrudes past lower jaw
P. palmas palmas ('palmas' bichir)- 13"
(subspecies)P. palmas polli ('marbled bichir)- 14"(there seems to be enough evidence to promote this to its own species)
(subspecies) P. palmas buettikoferi ('buettikoferi' bichir)- 13"
P. ornatipinnis ('ornate' bichir)- 27"
P. delhezi ('armoured' or 'delhez's' bichir)- 14"
P. senegalus senegalus ('Senegal' or 'Cuiver's' bichir)- 12"
(subspecies)P. senegalus meridionalis- 12"+
P. retropinnis retropinnis ('retropinnis' bichir)- 14"
(subspecies)P. retropinnis lowei ('Lowe's' bichir)- 12"
P. weeksi ('week's' bichir)- 20"
P.teugelsi(new species not described yet)
E. calabaricus ('Ropefish')- 15"-30" (Closer to 15''-20'' in captivity)

Lower Jaw Species-Lower protrudes past upper jaw
P. endlicheri endlicheri ('saddled' or 'red' bichir)- 32", possibly more
(subspecies)P. endlicheri congicus ('giant' or 'congo' bichir)- 39"
P. lapradei ('Lapradei' bichir)- 24"
P. bichir bichir-30+ ''
P.ansorgii*

Variations
There are variations of the above including
short bodied
longfinned
albinoism
leustic
albino Polypterids have a pink/ white body with red eyes if they are a species with pronounced markings
these are often yellowish in color.
Leustic (platinum) are silver/whitish bodies with black eyes.

*There are only 3 known examples to exist and they are in museums its possible
this species is extinct.

As Sm said what you saw was probably P.senegalus senegalus it should reach 10-12''Technicaly they are illegal to import itno Australia-Anne
Did you notice the price?

I had an Armoured Bichir, it wasn't senegalise or ornate.It started life in my tank the size of a finger,within a year 12" and hand tame B) . Had to get rid though, it was a killing machine!! :sad: (caught it trying to eat an 8" elephant fish, which it had killed during the night :eek: ). Sorry no help on maximum size, but don't get much bigger than 14", so I was told. Awesome fish though, sad to see my little killer go!

As Sm said what you saw was probably P.senegalus senegalus it should reach 10-12''Technicaly they are illegal to import itno Australia-Anne
Did you notice the price?

well they were both in a display tank with a school of quite large silver dollars so there was no price. and i didnt ask if they were for sale. i did mention to the guy working in the shop that i didnt think they were available in Australia and he said that they are but they are hard to get :/

Well checked with a friend you're looking at between $100-300 for abichir there in OZ just so you know

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back