How Are My Stocking Levels?

Lisa1981

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Mar 8, 2009
Messages
88
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Falkirk, Scotland
My tank is a Juwel Vision 180. How are my stocking levels? I think I'm fully stocked but quite a few people have told me that I'm not and I've got room for more fish. I'm relatively new to fish keeping so not sure what the believe.

2 Gold Honey Gourami
2 Spotted Climbing Perch
5 Tiger Barbs
3 Marble Mollies
2 Zebra Loaches
 
I'm guessing the 180, is 180 liters? In which case, would equate to about 47 Gallons. I have you at about 56 inches of fish, doing some rough searches.

2 Gold Honey Gourami = 4 inches
2 Spotted Climbing Perch = 16 inches
5 Tiger Barbs = 13 inches
3 Marble Mollies = 15 inches
2 Zebra Loaches = 8 inches

You're well stocked right now, but with enough filtration and keeping up on water changes, many do go over the 1" per gallon guideline, and may do 1.5" or 2" per gallon. How long have you had the tank going? What kind of filtration do you have? Is the tank planted? I'd probably give it 6 months with that stock, and then you could add a few more. :good:
 
Actually I just realized you have Perch, those are carnivorous and hunt fish. I am not sure how well they would do with your other stock, I don't know a whole lot about them so maybe someone else can clear it up.
 
Actually I just realized you have Perch, those are carnivorous and hunt fish. I am not sure how well they would do with your other stock, I don't know a whole lot about them so maybe someone else can clear it up.

They are carnivorous and when they grow then I might have to watch out for the smaller fish but currently they are only about 1.5" long so not so much of an issue. I hope to get a bigger tank soon so they will be rehoused more suitably with fish that won't fall victim to them.

Thanks for the advice so far as I am now clear that I won't be getting any more fish for this tank. Its a relatively new tank although was 2nd hand so came to me with mature media, etc so didn't take too long to do my fishless cycle. Its well planted but has internal filtration which I'd like to change to external at some point.
 
Thoose tiger barbs will probably end up attacking the gouramis long feeler fins on a regular basis as they mature. They are visous squabling fish wich will attack anything that moves.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top