Hours Of Light

Leedsboi86

Fish Addict
Joined
Aug 7, 2006
Messages
868
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Leeds - United Kingdom
Hey everyone.

I have an Aquarium with a digital timer built in to set on and off time for lights.
Wondering how many hours a day do fish need?

there 4 Fantail goldfish and only plants in there is Java Moss on some wood.

Thanks!
 
Hey everyone.

I have an Aquarium with a digital timer built in to set on and off time for lights.
Wondering how many hours a day do fish need?

there 4 Fantail goldfish and only plants in there is Java Moss on some wood.

Thanks!


i put mine on about 10-12 hrs aday for the plants as much as the fish ,
moonlite 9pm till bed
 
Well its not the fish that need them, they can go without, but for plants 8-10 hrs a day is usually enough, but as it only Java Moss it can grow regardless of lights, so its up to you really, the less light the less algae in my experience.
 
I would say 8-10 hours personally

For me personally I turn them on when I get up and turn them off when I go to bed. :good:

PS: Like mentioned above a lot of fish would prefer no light so its mainly your plants that would be the deciding factor.
 
I would say 8-10 hours personally

For me personally I turn them on when I get up and turn them off when I go to bed. :good:
If that works for you then fair enough, but I found I started to get algae problems when I used to do that with the lights on 15 hours a day or so

See the funny thing about that is I have six tanks set up right now. The two with green terrors get algae but the others don't. Now the conclusion I have come to is filtration and movement of water which pretty much play hand in hand. Now both 30's I only have one filter and thats it no air rock or nothing. Now my 75 I have two HOB's which cycle 750 gallons and hour and circulate the water pretty well and I never have algae. The 55 is brackish and I have a 4ft bubble wand and two poweheads in it so algae wouldn't be able to connect to anything. My ten gallon I'm not sure about yet the filter I have on it is for a ten gallon I have had it sat up for a week no algae yet. Also has a few real plants only one. Just added a bubbler cause the tetras got ich two died today :rip: Now the one up stairs is a 29 gallon but has a oversized filter and a airstone so it has pretty good circulation and doesn't get algae.
 
I'd start at eight hours then adjust as needed. If you start at 10+hours, that's almost an algae guarantee. I'd rather start low, then see how the plants do.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top