Highland platy

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

emeraldking

Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
As I've told often, there are more wild platy species than just the Xiphophorus maculatus and the Xiphophorus variatus. I'd like to show another one. This is the socalled Highland platy (Xiphophorus evelynae). It;s a platy species that occurs in the Rio Tecolutla stream close to the village Necaxa in the state of Puebla (Estado Puebla) in the eastern part of Mexico.
It's a species that is best kept at lower till moderate temperatures. The species itself is friendly in behavior towards others. But males from the same species can challenge another. A good water flow at the surface is what they prefer.
Overhere a very well colored dominant male. The more dominant, the more color such a male will show.
IMG_1525a.jpg
And overhere a submissive male with a pseudo gravid spot.
IMG_1537.JPG

I kept evelynae for quite a few generations, back in my hard tapwater days. Mine had no strong colour. That is a nice morph.

The coloured up male looks a lot like the X. variatus we used to get in the Bayswater Drain back in the 90s. However, they were always that colour and it didn't matter if they were male or female.

The subordinate almost looks like a Goodeii

The coloured up male looks a lot like the X. variatus we used to get in the Bayswater Drain back in the 90s. However, they were always that colour and it didn't matter if they were male or female.

The subordinate almost looks like a Goodeii
The X.evelynae does look a bit similar to a X.variatus but they're two different platy species.

Most reactions

Back