Heterandria Formosa (least killifish, dwarf livebearers, mosquito fish etc) only tank. Which plants are natural?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

ClownLurch

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
Due to lockdown lfs stocking problems/irregularities my Hets arrived much earlier than expected so after consultation with @emeraldking and QT they ended up in the 120L main tank with 3 guppies and 12 Long Fin WCMMs. 8 Medaka hopefully arriving soon as Iā€™ve now sourced some after a long search.
Iā€™ll be moving the hets soonish to a 10G/39L tank on their own which was always the intention but due to rewiring entire house and redecorating/new carpets/hardwood floors etc all plans are patchy at the moment.
The hets seem ok but as expected spend most of their time in the plants at the back and sides occasionally venturing out into open water for a mooch about. The Guppies and WCMMs donā€™t hassle them and Iā€™ve spent a lot of time viewing them so thatā€™s a relief.

Once the medakas are QTd and into main tank Iā€™ll start setting up QT tank for the hets. Itā€™ll be well planted as all sources insist BUT WHAT WITH?
Iā€™ll be silent cycling with the usual fast growers anacharis, eldea densa, frogbit,water lettuce, hornwort, moneywort etc but I also want to give em a few plants to remind them of back home in the south eastern states of the good old US of A. Some initial plant can be removed once weā€™re all up n running.
The Carolinas, Florida, Louisiana and Eastern Texas are apparently where they originate from though the Carolinas seem to be the original origination point. To the best of my knowledge mine have never been nearer to the US than Leighton Buzzard.
So what plants can I find over here thatll bring a little bit of over there to their glass box world? What the hell, what shrimps, what snails as well? Iā€™m not talking full biotope scenario just stuff thatā€™s easily achievable.
All suggestions welcomed. Sorry for post length Iā€™m trying to avoid getting back to painting the ceiling.

Theres a website vacancy for this sort of info if one isnā€™t already up n running. If there is can someone point me at it? If not Iā€™ll research a few Carolinas river names then look for their plant make up.

Cape Fears gotta get a mention. Mitchums my favourite actor so the two male hets look like being named Mitch and De Niro. Couldnā€™t stand either of the versions of the film though. Get a couple of plastic fellers clinging to the underside of a car as decor?
Back to decorating......sigh.

Iā€™ll forever be known as the creator of the thread that died of nicheness. A title Iā€™ll wear proudly.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back