Hemianthus Micranthemoides

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

mlawson

Excessum ut clementia
Reaction score
Scientific name: Hemianthus micranthemoides

Common terms: None, It used to be called Micranthemum micranthemoides and sometimes still is, so if you see a plant labelled as this it will actually be Hemianthus micranthemoides.

Geographic origin: Distibuted over parts of central America.

Type (stem, bulb, rhizome, floating etc.): Stem

Max. size (height, width): Height - 3 to 15cm, Width - up to 10cm, can be grown as a carpeting plant.

Lighting required: Medium - Very bright

Temperature: 22 - 28 degrees C

Water chemistry requirements (pH, hardness): Quite adaptable, I keep mine in hard water with a pH of 7.5, soft water is prefered, but a pH of 5-8 and very soft - hard water should be fine.

Growth rates: Reasonably fast in good conditions.

Demands: Relatively hard, a nutrient rich substrate and CO2 should be considered necesary. Mine seems to thrive with 2WPG and with lots of fertilisers and CO2.

Additional info: Hemianthus micranthemoides is a very popular plant due to its small size and minute leaves. Once established it forms a dense cushion of fine, light green leaves. In my case it is used as a background plant in a nano tank, in larger setups it could be used as a foreground plant aslong as it is pruned regulary. In my experience it propagets via side shoots and acts like a carpet, even when let to grow vertically. It is probably one of the best fine-leafed stem plants available.

A small compact bush of Hemianthus micranthemoides.
36B8EEB5.jpg

Most reactions

Back