Help!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Not winning awards but just so you all get an idea.....

Attachments

• 65CB4A55-D40C-4BAF-AAB4-37705F4C3C99.jpeg
    65CB4A55-D40C-4BAF-AAB4-37705F4C3C99.jpeg
    28.1 KB · Views: 112
I do have a scan of the TFH article which I will post below. I tend not to waste time doing this, as I once spent a couple hours tracking down references and then the individual said, "Ha, ha, I won't believe anything you say anyway, %%%%% (unprintable term)" so I can't be bothered. It is still common scientific fact, whether anyone believes it or not. If you asked me to prove the earth is not flat I couldn't, but it is still fact. Here's the article.

That shade you are sending me about having to provide evidence when requested and then the poster still doesn't come your way can also be directed towards yourself. You have in no way really read my posts to see that Im already doing large water changes on a majority of my tanks. [Why not read the post more carefully and give the member the benefit of the doubt about their knowledge instead of immediately taking on that "Im gonna school you" stance. ]
My tanks are moderately to heavily planted, I do large regular water changes ( on all but 1 tank), and two of the most densely populated have UV sterilizers. I rely on all these elements ( water changes, plants, and UV sterilizers) to keep my fish healthy.
You have just concentrated on my one tank that I do 30% water changes and made the argument that I do not take water changes seriously enough. The scientific method would tell you that this type of extraction of material to make the case that your belief system is superior to the one offered is very "unscientific"- myopic even. So keep your shade-- you dont strengthen your moral authority by accusing someone of something ( in this case, coming to meet the other in the middle) when you wouldn't consider it yourself.

Thank you for the article. I cannot read it off of what you have provided; but, will look it up now that you posted it.

I hope you are now seeing that your position cannot be deemed scientific fact just becuase you say it is. Certainly you see that its poor form to state your belief system is a "scientific fact" and, then, when asked for corroborating evidence act like you are wasting your time. As a scientist, it is common to have to argue your thinking and establish your chain of evidence.
Its interesting though... in the next post, when asked for references, you argue that what you believe is true is validated by its "acceptance throughout the hobby".
Which is it?

Can't we all just get along?
No one harmed here. We are adults and can have differing opinions.
Lets be intellectually stimulated by that instead of feel as if we were "wounded" by all the disagreement.

What would have been "getting along" here would have entailed me ( the new member) accepting my schooling by the well-known member and not defending my position. Is that "getting along'? Is that fair?

That shade you are sending me about having to provide evidence when requested and then the poster still doesn't come your way can also be directed towards yourself. You have in no way really read my posts to see that Im already doing large water changes on a majority of my tanks. [Why not read the post more carefully and give the member the benefit of the doubt about their knowledge instead of immediately taking on that "Im gonna school you" stance. ]
My tanks are moderately to heavily planted, I do large regular water changes ( on all but 1 tank), and two of the most densely populated have UV sterilizers. I rely on all these elements ( water changes, plants, and UV sterilizers) to keep my fish healthy.
You have just concentrated on my one tank that I do 30% water changes and made the argument that I do not take water changes seriously enough. The scientific method would tell you that this type of extraction of material to make the case that your belief system is superior to the one offered is very "unscientific"- myopic even. So keep your shade-- you dont strengthen your moral authority by accusing someone of something ( in this case, coming to meet the other in the middle) when you wouldn't consider it yourself.

Thank you for the article. I cannot read it off of what you have provided; but, will look it up now that you posted it.

I hope you are now seeing that your position cannot be deemed scientific fact just becuase you say it is. Certainly you see that its poor form to state your belief system is a "scientific fact" and, then, when asked for corroborating evidence act like you are wasting your time. As a scientist, it is common to have to argue your thinking and establish your chain of evidence.
Its interesting though... in the next post, when asked for references, you argue that what you believe is true is validated by its "acceptance throughout the hobby".
Which is it?

We are not discussing any of the above. I am not saying there is anything wrong with your tanks.

Colin and I have differing opinions on using the Python. That's fine, neither of us is countering science. We have our reasons for our positions, and respect them. That is a very different thing.

The bottom line is that the more water changed the more stable the biology/chemistry and the healthier the fish. This is scientific fact.

The bottom line is that the more water changed the more stable the biology/chemistry and the healthier the fish. This is scientific fact.

To you. I respect your opinion.

Errr guys!
Lets not forget this site is a valuable resource for new fish keepers and we do get a lot of them on here. We also respond to a lot of "help my fish is sick / dying" questions. And this very thread is titled Help!!!

As a "one size fits all" more is better. I have never heard of anyone with health issues because their fish were subjected to too much clean water.

Errr guys!
Lets not forget this site is a valuable resource for new fish keepers and we do get a lot of them on here. We also respond to a lot of "help my fish is sick / dying" questions. And this very thread is titled Help!!!

As a "one size fits all" more is better. I have never heard of anyone with health issues because their fish were subjected to too much clean water.
Yeah, I do see that. Lots of emergency "help!" questions by new aquarists on fish-keeping- very few members.
Interesting.

Lets bring this down to the real.
I never said I thought water changes were unimportant! It was quickly assumed from my post that I was an "anti-water changer" (hysterically assumed) and I was immediately schooled by your resident experts because one of my tanks gets a 30% water change.

Seriously? Ive been keeping fish for 30 years. Successfully. Take a chill pill.

So, tell me, in the future, when giving my take on a post and chastised by your hysterical "in the know" crowd for my opinions- should I just keep my response to myself?

Yeah, I do see that. Lots of emergency "help!" questions by new aquarists on fish-keeping- very few members.
Interesting.

Lets bring this down to the real.
I never said I thought water changes were unimportant! It was quickly assumed from my post that I was an "anti-water changer" (hysterically assumed) and I was immediately schooled by your resident experts because one of my tanks gets a 30% water change.

Seriously? Ive been keeping fish for 30 years. Successfully. Take a chill pill.

So, tell me, in the future, when giving my take on a post and chastised by your hysterical "in the know" crowd for my opinions- should I just keep my response to myself?
No, I'd love to hear what you have to say from your perspective and experience.

Plus, there's nothing wrong with a little friendly depate.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Yes, the Python is bogus. It looks like something Dr. Mengele came up with. Colin is correct about it's ill effects. My previous post fell prey to my poor computer skills.
How is it "bogus"?

OK. This is just my opinion. I don't think putting straight chlorinated water into an aquarium is a good idea and here is my reason why. While the negligible amount of chlorine added prior to the chlorine killing additive may not hurt the fish, something tells me that it will hurt the little tiny organisms that help things. Beneficial bacteria, infusoria, etc. I always try to err on the side of caution. It takes a long time to get a tank exactly like I want it and fish are expensive and I also have an obligation to give them the best possible care that I know how to.

Discussion can continue...but let's please keep things civil and respectful

OK. This is just my opinion. I don't think putting straight chlorinated water into an aquarium is a good idea and here is my reason why. While the negligible amount of chlorine added prior to the chlorine killing additive may not hurt the fish, something tells me that it will hurt the little tiny organisms that help things. Beneficial bacteria, infusoria, etc. I always try to err on the side of caution. It takes a long time to get a tank exactly like I want it and fish are expensive and I also have an obligation to give them the best possible care that I know how to.
I get that.
We each have to do with our aquariums what works best for us. If this gives you peace of mind, far cry for me to say it isnt "correct". Thanks for the explanation.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back