Help stocking BiOrb

The big issue with adjusting pH and hardness is having to monitor and ensure you don't cause a big pH swing when doing water changes. Especially with such a small volume tank and planing to add a powdered product, a spoon isn't an accurate measure in these cases.
So are you saying that I am better finding a fish that is suitable to what I already have ? If so any ideas as I am not very interested in only shrimp
pH:6.4
Carbonate Hardness:in between 3 and 6

I'm going to be blunt here.
If you are dead set on stocking this BiOrb tank we will do our best to help you get fish that will suit it's size and your water parameters.(pH,Gh,KH)
But if it was me I wouldn't be stocking one of these things with fish.
A shrimp tank may work, but then again as you can't add any real substrate it may not. You even have to keep plants in pots because of the filtration system.
The priority should be the fish first, and I don't, and never have, seen these tanks as being able to provide suitable envioroments. I looked at them about ten years ago and decided to never get one. To my mind they're ornaments and fish are not fashion accessories.

Sorry.

So are you saying that I am better finding a fish that is suitable to what I already have ? If so any ideas as I am not very interested in only shrimp
pH:6.4
Carbonate Hardness:in between 3 and 6
I did suggest Celestial Pearl Danios, but they need plant cover. Soft acidic water also suits Chili Rasbora, again they need plant cover.
No bottom dwellers because of the ceramic substrate and lack of room.
I would also suggest keeping this as a species tank rather than a community tank, so you can get the numbers needed for the fish to be happy.

If you are dead set on stocking this BiOrb tank we will do our best to help you get fish that will suit it's size and your water parameters.(pH,Gh,KH)
A shrimp tank may work, but then again as you can't add any real substrate it may not. You even have to keep plants in pots because of the filtration system.
The priority should be the fish first, and I don't, and never have, seen these tanks as being able to provide suitable envioroments. I looked at them about ten years ago and decided to never get one. To my mind they're ornaments and fish are not fashion accessories.

Sorry.
I agree with this, I'm sorry :(
They're popular because like the look of the design, but they're really designed to appeal to people, not to be good for fish. Once you understand more about what fish appreciate - namely, horizontal swimming space - you start see why the rectangular tank has been a staple in the hobby for so long. Oddly shaped fish tanks, ones that are very tall and narrow, tall hexagons, spheres, column tanks - they're not good for fish, and really limit what you can possibly keep in them. The lack of surface area for oxygen change, ability to plant, lack of footprint for bottom dwellers too, difficulty in cleaning and maintenance, all of these things make it even more unappealing to most serious hobbyists. The volume limits it, but even that volume is more workable when it's in a rectangular shape so fish have more horizontal swimming space and is much easier to maintain. These are really a rip off given how much they limit your options and how expensive they are.

Personally I'd sell this one, and scour gumtree and other online sale places and look for a half decent second hand tank that's 60 litres or more. Would really open up your options. I got two 60 litre tanks that came with heaters, filters and lights for less than Ā£40 each. Neither of mine would be large enough for swordtails which get quite large, but guppies, endlers, bettas, and a whole range of schooling nano fish can work (depending on your water GH etc) in that volume with that footprint, and you can plant too.

If it were me, I'd sel

Sorry.
I have never really loved these tanks to be honest but what you have said makes sense and I agree with what you say but I have had platies live in there fine before

Reactions: kwi
I agree with this, I'm sorry :(
They're popular because like the look of the design, but they're really designed to appeal to people, not to be good for fish. Once you understand more about what fish appreciate - namely, horizontal swimming space - you start see why the rectangular tank has been a staple in the hobby for so long. Oddly shaped fish tanks, ones that are very tall and narrow, tall hexagons, spheres, column tanks - they're not good for fish, and really limit what you can possibly keep in them. The lack of surface area for oxygen change, ability to plant, lack of footprint for bottom dwellers too, difficulty in cleaning and maintenance, all of these things make it even more unappealing to most serious hobbyists. The volume limits it, but even that volume is more workable when it's in a rectangular shape so fish have more horizontal swimming space and is much easier to maintain. These are really a rip off given how much they limit your options and how expensive they are.

Personally I'd sell this one, and scour gumtree and other online sale places and look for a half decent second hand tank that's 60 litres or more. Would really open up your options. I got two 60 litre tanks that came with heaters, filters and lights for less than Ā£40 each. Neither of mine would be large enough for swordtails which get quite large, but guppies, endlers, bettas, and a whole range of schooling nano fish can work (depending on your water GH etc) in that volume with that footprint, and you can plant too.

If it were me, I'd sel
Ok thank you I will look for a new one and sell this thank you very much for the advice I really appreciate it :):thanks:

It's tough to come on & get this advice. It might even sound harsh but I promise this is a friendly forum & everyone wants what is best for the fish. Myself I had two Plecos I loved so much - but found out here I'd been sold the wrong breed & they needed a vastly larger tank. I donated them to a city Aquarium. It was tough but for best.

You'll love having a bigger tank & more stock options :fish:

hi. Speaking from my own hard experiences with trying to keep fish in a biorb, Iā€™d personally steer clear from keeping fish in them. as much as they look nice, the filtration system is almost non-existent and there is very little surface area (for example the spong/media package that you change is the same in the 30l and the 105l tank).
As suggested above pls read the cycling article, I also fell into the trap of how easy / quickly the setup is before putting fish in and pretty much lost most of them over a matter of weeks . If you insist with keeping the orb there are a few vids showing how improvements can be made to the filtration.

Iā€™ll dig a link out if interested.....

The main filter medium in biorbs is actually those rocks on the bottom of the tank. They use an undergravel type of filter. The box with the foam and carbon are not the main biological filter.

hi. Speaking from my own hard experiences with trying to keep fish in a biorb, Iā€™d personally steer clear from keeping fish in them. as much as they look nice, the filtration system is almost non-existent and there is very little surface area (for example the spong/media package that you change is the same in the 30l and the 105l tank).
As suggested above pls read the cycling article, I also fell into the trap of how easy / quickly the setup is before putting fish in and pretty much lost most of them over a matter of weeks . If you insist with keeping the orb there are a few vids showing how improvements can be made to the filtration.

Thank you I have now decided to get a new aquarium after reading how BiOrb design isnā€™t good for fish as I want the fish to be in their best health and happiness :)

Iā€™ve looked at buying new tanks but every used either wonā€™t fit on the stand I have or are to expensive or most are just another BiOrb so if you could find me a link that would be great :)

Iā€™ve looked at buying new tanks but every used either wonā€™t fit on the stand I have or are to expensive or most are just another BiOrb so if you could find me a link that would be great :)

here is the link
. Iā€™m no expert so would suggest getting second/third opinions from this lot. I tried this before finding this forum.

pls note Iā€™ve got 2 biorbs with this installed, fingers crossed Iā€™ve had no issue. But these are only temporary homes until my ada 60x45 and aquascape 900 are cycled. Then theyā€™re going in the trash.

any reason why youā€™re sticking with the stand? Plenty of options out there combo tank and cabinets...... do you have a budget in mind.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back