Help Needed With Fishless Cycle (Started It Without Test Kit!)

Yes - what you did sounds great! So hang in there on the ammonia levels - water change as needed to get them down, assuming your pH is over 7.0. I don't think you did anything wrong regarding the Badis. Sometimes the fish you get are already weakened for whatever reason, and the stress of a new tank is too much.

Woke up today to find 3 of the tetras dead! This is not going well. Water parameters looked fine but I have done a 100% water change this morning using tap water instead of bottled. Lets see what happens now.

Morning. Well the 3 cardinal tetras are still alive (just) they are always hiding and don't really even eat when I feed them, they used to be very active when feeding. The last remaining badis I can't even find this morning. Water levels look ok, double zeros but the nitrate is a bit high, about 40 but that is the same as my tap water. I really don't know what is going on! Any ideas? I am thinking of getting a couple more fish today to see if they do any better. Is that a good idea? Please help!!

Thanks, Dave

I'd wait.   Bring your nitrates down by water change.

Would water changes help as the nitrate in my tap water is the same as in tank?

Water change wont help if the tap is 40ppm. It's not really toxic at that level either. It was probably the NH3 that hurt your fish. Keep a sharp eye on it and do a WC if it's above 0ppm.

Keep the nitrates as low as possible... And the ammonia and nitrite need to remain ZERO.

Well, I am happy to report that I got the 3 remaining cardinal tetras some friends. (3 more cardinal tetras, some cherry shrimp, some endlers and 2 platys). I know the tank is now overstocked but they all seem very well and have really come out of their shells. Water parameters are also looking great. Going to do water changes twice a week. Fingers crossed all will be ok. I am loving the tank now! Dave

Most reactions

trending

Back