Help me stock a 10 gallon fish tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

MammaBearinTN

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have a five gallon and ten gallon tanks set up.

My beta is currently doing great in my 30 gallon long community tank, but as I add a few more fish I realize I may have to put him back in one of the tanks.

How many shrimp could I put in a 10 gallon tank? Also I'd like 1 - 3 smallish fish, but I need fish that don't need to be in a larger school.

Your help is appreciated!

You can fit as many dwarf shrimp as you want in a 10 gallon. I have over a hundred in mine and they seem to be doing fine. I would recommend less to start obviously. If you want small solitary fish, it's hard to beat another betta! Maybe a gourami or two?

I'm confused, is the betta going to be in this ten gallon with the shrimp and 1-3 smaller fish?

You can fit as many dwarf shrimp as you want in a 10 gallon. I have over a hundred in mine and they seem to be doing fine. I would recommend less to start obviously. If you want small solitary fish, it's hard to beat another betta! Maybe a gourami or two?
I'll use the betta! I didn't know if they were compatible.

I'd love to see that tank! Do you have different color shrimp or all one color? And which plants do best in a "short-ish" tank?

Actually, the betta could be "the" fish in the shrimp tank. I just didn't know if the betta was big enough to bother/eat them!
It's pretty much 50/50 whether the betta would bother shrimp. Seems to vary according to the bettas personality! Some people keep them with shrimp without issue, others, the shrimp become a very expensive snack for the betta... :eek:

I wouldn't mix betta with gourami. They're both territorial, labyrinth fish, very likely to clash.

It's pretty much 50/50 whether the betta would bother shrimp. Seems to vary according to the bettas personality! Some people keep them with shrimp without issue, others, the shrimp become a very expensive snack for the betta... :eek:

I wouldn't mix betta with gourami. They're both territorial, labyrinth fish, very likely to clash.
My 30 g long is home to 11 ember tetras and 6 paleatus catfish. I'm still working on what else I want to add, but I think the shrimp would make a great addition at this point.

My 30 g long is home to 11 ember tetras and 6 paleatus catfish. I'm still working on what else I want to add, but I think the shrimp would make a great addition at this point.
Sure, they'd be grande with embers and paleatus!

What kind of shrimp are you planning on? :D Really fond of mine, they add some nice action to the tank. A whole little world

I'd love to see that tank! Do you have different color shrimp or all one color? And which plants do best in a "short-ish" tank?
IMG_6918.jpg
IMG_6891.jpg

I have all blue velvet shrimp. My favorite kind. As for plants, I have java ferns, dwarf sag, and frogbit, all of which have worked well in my 10G.

In other tanks I have RCS and yellow shrimp which are both pretty cool, but blue velvet are the best.

Attachments

• IMG_6884.jpg
    IMG_6884.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 45

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back